1928 Buick Master Parts needed ASAP

Guest wrennch

Guest wrennch

I have a bunch of little things i need to get done before october when i am supposed to drive this car for my sisters wedding. I just got the head back from getting guides and the springs shimmed and being planed. I need the cooling runner pipe that runs from the radiator to the head and the water temp sensor. I need the brake cable that is about 18" long and is outside the frame on the right side. I also need at least one wheel because there are a couple cracked spokes. If any body has any of these parts let me know.

Thanks

Check Bob's Automobilia for the coolant tube as he may still have one available for a 1928 model. Be prepared to open your wallet as they are not cheap. Also I would not wait around looking for a less expensive original as they are scarcer than hens teeth and normally in very poor condition when found.

Thanks,

Take the cable from the opposite side and get one made to match. There are 2 different lengths on 28 buicks depending on models.

On the water tube, I would look for a custom exhaust shop and talk to them about making your tube in Stainless. Water flowing through a copper tube will erode fairly quick. Convince the shop that they can sell additional tubes to cover the cost of the jigs and fixtures that will be needed.

Bob Engle

In 1928 the master used 2 different water tubes depending on the series. One style had 3 legs and the other style used 4 legs.

Bobs Automobilia has exactly one left. It is the three-legged style. Their # is 805-434-2963 This part is NOT in their catalog or on-line to my knowledge.

Bill

The 1930 Master engine (50 and 60 series) uses the 4-leg style. I spoke to Bob last year about the possibility of obtaining a fresh supply of water tubes and he said that the company that he previously purchased them from absolutely refused to make any more. Apparently they were too labor intensive to create.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Guest wrennch

ya my engine needs the 4 leg style. So what do you all think? build my own out of stainless or copper?

Most definitely not copper. Stainless would be the way to go in my opinion. Let me know if you can find someone who can recreate these tubes. Mine is patched together and on it's last legs. I would be interested in purchasing a new one as well.

Thanks,

I've seen people cut and weld sections of new straight pipe into portions of the manifold that are rusty. I have a 28 engine with one of those, it doesn't look too bad.

I had a few leaks in my '27 manifold that I patched here and there on the outside with fiberglass. This repair has held up for years. I didn't think it would, but the Buick cooling system is non-pressurized so keeping it from leaking isn't that difficult. I smoothed out the fiberglass so it is not very obvious. I suggest you try this then keep your eye out for another repro or good used pipe.

Good luck!

Bill.

Guest wrennch

how much would you want for the one you have? If you dont want to sell it i think im just going to build one and tig weld it together. only problem is finding a new bung that the temp sender screws into.

Guest wrennch

well apparently copper will errode, is what one guy said. but that doesnt make sense cause copper is what is used for water pipes in houses. Im not sure. But it will be easier for me to make out of steel cause then i can tig weld it instead of solder it.

Guest wrennch

so built an all new cooling pipe so i got that problem taken care of. My next problem is the wheels are cracked and loose. So where can i get new wheels, prefereble metal spoke wheels?

It is my understanding that wire wheels will not be compatible with the axles/hubs of your car. You will need to have your wood wheels rebuilt and this would be a job for a professional. Not sure where you can get this done, but perhaps someone on this forum will know.

• 1 year later...
Guest Dale R Butterfield
I have a bunch of little things i need to get done before october when i am supposed to drive this car for my sisters wedding. I just got the head back from getting guides and the springs shimmed and being planed. I need the cooling runner pipe that runs from the radiator to the head and the water temp sensor. I need the brake cable that is about 18" long and is outside the frame on the right side. I also need at least one wheel because there are a couple cracked spokes. If any body has any of these parts let me know.

Thanks

I may have your brake cable. I will check on it for you. What is your phone number and I'll give you a call.