Wanted: R-9 overdrive

West,

I have one that I am in the process of cleaning and re-gasketing. It has the solenoid, governor, cable, and a relay, though I don't know if the relay is good. I can test it when I get the trans back together.

Dan Boehm

734-753-3979

SE Michigan

It is from a 48 Packard Deluxe 8.

Edited by AVSmi
more info (see edit history)

West - As referred recently on PInfo, Nelson Bates 903-237-8098 of Longview, TX is really into overdrives. I am now feeding him cores as fast as he can work with them; I'm sure he can help out, however, the issue fast becomes do you want a mystery trans, or are you wanting/willing to write the check. Nelson, and a professional mechanic mate are seriously into overhauling (not just "rebuilding") these transmissions, which is my way of warning that you get what you pay for. Nelson is ex-NASA and his attention to detail has not declined from his involvement in the space program. (or his brother Warren's influence) I often remind him we are not driving these cars to the moon, to which he often replies, why not?

West I have r-9 junior box if you going to have one built, that was my intention to swap the front input shafts and covers, Typical the there 4 gears in the sun gear, but I doubt that a huge issue verse 3 in the junior R-9. Even that could be swapped. It sound like Dave friend not the routine for conversion and rebuilds. Since then I pickup a senior unit complete. I probably after an extra six post relay,

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

Yes. Daniel e-mailed me with the differences between the Senior and Junior o.d.'s. Not sure at this point weather a problem would show up if we tried installing the Junior in a Senior car.

"I did a bit of research in my 42 parts book, and it seems there are 2 significant differences between the 2008 O/D trans and the 2001-11-21 junior O/D trans. First is the 'clutch shaft', which I believe is the large/small input pilot, and the O/D planetary set, which I believe is a 4 pinion planetary for the senior and 3 pinion planetary for the juniors. The clutch shaft can be swapped between this and the trans that is in the car, but the O/D 4 pinion planetary is 30% stronger for the senior car. The transmissions will physically interchange, but O/D strength is compromised."

The overdrive internal shaft is the same for senior and Junior in the tranny. Yes you need to shorten the driveline shaft, but any good driveline shaft shopcan cut weld and rebalance it better than new.

The overdrive lockout cable is special for 41 & 42 non clippers. the eariler and later cable will work, but their not technical correct. I have the head somewhere to build one, if one needs to make up the cable.

Also there a model tee guy that makes a full manual conversion, i.e you push in the clutch and shift like open overdrive unit.

This is for my brother's 1942 2008. My car already has o.d.

I thought your brother Limo was for sale? above my budget to bad, I love towncars. Seriousy think of choping mine into a town car.

The manual conversion was a kit for using R-9 behind any other make. I will ahve to see if I have notes on it. his space was on the Red field near the main entrance several years ago. i believe he was promoting the OD for Model T, but it was suitable for all makes and models.

• 6 months later...
Guest hmclauchlan

West,

We have a R9A-1 transmission. Give Don Sommer at American Arrow a call at (248) 435-6115. We also have a R10C-1 and a R11-10.

Howard