1937 century

vstol

I am considering purchasing a 1937 Century 4 dr, and have driven it. I found the steering to be much more difficult than I expected. My intent was to use the car as a driver for AACA tours, but wonder about the ability to drive any distance without a lot of fatigue. Is this car in need of some front end or steering work or is it just naturally difficult to steer?

I have a '38 Special - same car from a front suspension and steering point of view, I believe.

As long as it's rolling, it steers easily. Check tire pressures, grease the front end, be sure there is no binding in the steering box, and have the front end aligned. The Century is an awesome car.

If you get it, be sure to post some pictures.

Jeff

I am considering purchasing a 1937 Century 4 dr, and have driven it. I found the steering to be much more difficult than I expected. My intent was to use the car as a driver for AACA tours, but wonder about the ability to drive any distance without a lot of fatigue. Is this car in need of some front end or steering work or is it just naturally difficult to steer?

If you've been raised on ball joint suspension, power steering, radial tires, power ABS brakes, air conditioning, adjustable lumbar support seats, and more cup holders than you have hands, you will be surprised and probably disappointed in any "older" car. The steering is hard and iffy, brakes so-so, ride mushy, maintenance demanding, cooling provided by open windows etc etc etc. Don't believe those stories about how those old Buicks and Caddies would cruise and ride like a dream. Never did, never will.

However..............If you value stepping back in time to a simpler era and want to experiance life driving as it was, then an older car will give more than it takes. I don't think any of the legs on an AACA tour are so long that it would be a problem. Don't forget everyone is in the same boat.

.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Do you mean it's difficult to turn the wheel, or the steering needs constant and substantial correction to stay in a straight line? Either one would indicate the front end or steering need work. If you've ever driven a '50's-'60's era pickup truck without power steering, driving a '37 in good shape shouldn't be much of a revelation.

Pete

I have noticed as I get older that my 40 gets harder to drive. Stepping from a later Buick into the 40 makes me remember that driving cars has evolved from work to pleasure !! I was told years ago to put radials on the 40 ,but I still have the bias tires, and I have to DRIVE the car. Get the Century and enjoy it ,as you will have one of the best AACA tour cars on the planet !!