PA Questions

Steve Braverman

At some point in my car's life, somebody switched the drums around. So, I have both left and right-handed lug nuts on each side. Do the left nuts go on the left side of the car, and right on the right side, or is that too obvious?

Also, is there supposed to be a filter of some sort in the glass sediment bowl on the fuel pump?

At some point in my car's life, somebody switched the drums around. So, I have both left and right-handed lug nuts on each side. Do the left nuts go on the left side of the car, and right on the right side, or is that too obvious?

Hmmm. I did not think they started the left hand thread back then. My 1933 has right hand thread all around. And the 1936-48 part book only shows right hand threaded bolts until 1940. See Plymouth Replacement Parts

Also, is there supposed to be a filter of some sort in the glass sediment bowl on the fuel pump?

Short answer is yes. See my answer to your question on this over at the POC forum http://plymouthbulletin.com/smf/index.php?board=4.0

Wow. Learn something new every day. I just looked in the 1928-33 Master Parts book and saw that before 1933 they seemed to use studs rather than lug bolts and they have separate listings for left and right. Except for Canada.

Weird that Chrysler had left hand threaded studs, dropped that for right hand threaded bolts for about 7 years then went to left hand threaded bolts. By the 1960s I know they were using left hand threaded studs. Guess they could not make up their minds on that one.

I believe that the left hand threaded fasteners go on the left side of the vehicle but it has been so many years since I've owned a car or truck that did that I am not positive.

I believe that the left hand threaded fasteners go on the left side of the vehicle but it has

been so many years since I've owned a car or truck that did that I am not positive.[

/QUOTE]

I agree with PLY33. If you think of the passenger (right) side wheel, it is turning clockwise,so if a lug was loose, it would also tend to turn clockwise and tighten,or at least,not loosen further if it was right hand thread. The same goes for the driver's (left) side if it was left hand thread,which I think was Chrysler's intent when they had this "great" idea,later proved to be hare-brained.

Left side...left hand threads. Right side...right hand threads. As far as the sediment bowl goes, I have seen them with a "stone" type filter and without the "stone". My '31 Dodge Brothers do not have the stones.