89 Buick LeSabre T-Type

Guest jcarberry23

Guest jcarberry23

I have a 1989 Buick LeSabre T-Type that I am thinking of selling. It only has 76,000 miles on it and is in great shape. It spends 90% of its time in my garage; I put about 750 miles on it a year for the past 8 years and have not driven it in rain or snow since 2001. The whole car was repainted in 1998; it is dark red with black leather interior. The interior is all original.

Right now I am just taking indications of interest. I will be happy to send you picutres if you are interested, but I am looking for serious inquiries only. This car is really in great shape and I do not want to get rid of it, but it may be time since in all practicality I rarely drive it.

Please email me if you are interested in discussing this further. I am located near Pittsburgh, PA.

john.carberry@gmail.com

Whimper...in the long run I would like to have a turbo car. Right now I just don't have the space.

Good luck with coming to a decision. My suggestion would be that if you don't need the money nor space, keep it. Driving it relatively little won't hurt it so long as you do exercise it a bit and keep up with regular maintenance. That will help to maintain some of the value due to it not being a car that has been driven into the ground. I know how you feel about not getting a car out enough...I am now up to 6 drivers (5 last summer) and I find I can't give them enough exercise.

Guest jcarberry23

Thanks for the sympathy! I do love the car and have owned it for 13 years; my problem is I need the space. More than anything else I'm hoping to find it a good home, and if I can't, I will keep it, and just try to find another garage for it. But if someone else out there wants one and appreciates this type of car, it could be a good opportunity for both of us!

It's not a turbo though--it has the 3800 V6, which is a great running engine, but it's not turbocharged. If anyone is interested I'll try to post a picture or two on here--I'm new to the site though so I'm still trying to learn my way around!

Guest jcarberry23

Thanks Redwind...looks like you are a fan of this car as well! Here is my attempt at posting pictures. Hope that this works.

post-67532-143138204182_thumb.jpg

post-67532-143138204187_thumb.jpg

Spectacular.

Redwind, picking the 88 up tomorrow. I would say your example here is a high #2 car, it's originality and nice repaint helps. Pricing is hard to gauge. Unlike a more popular and well known vehicle, such as a Corvette or such, there isn't a demand per se for the 87-89 LeSabre T Type just those of us who like them.

I am going to "guess" that the value of your T Type would be $3500 to $5500.

What do you think Redwind?

Reattas - made from 88 to 91 share the same issues, as do Cadillac Allantes and other "flagship" cars that are collectible but baby boomers are going older....much older for their toys.

Reattas in similar shape go for $1500 to $3500.

Guest Redwind89

I would say the value for the car is higher then what BJM said, but with that doesn't mean someone will pay more then 3500-5500 for it. It does have the aftermarket mufflers and pipes on it, so to me it would lower the value but to some it wouldn't. If you look up the 89 T-type's value in books a #1 is listed for 9500 with a # 2 for 7000. If I had the room or money for it I would jump at this car. They are starting to get harder and harder to find. Thriller to answer your question the only T-types that came with turbos were the Regal all others it was mainly an appearance package. Blacked out trim, different interior treatments, different wheels, different tail lights w/ the amber turn lens, better handling and just overall more refinements. I thing the reason everyone jumps at T-types being turbo is cause of the Regal and the following it has gotten.

Guest Redwind89

Yes it did, that was also a change from the regular models to the T-types most got a higher final drive gear to make them quicker off the line. :cool: The problem with this is that the transmissions would keep burning up. I do know that on the Lesabre t-types it is generally 2nd gear that would go out first and then 3rd and then OD.

Guest jcarberry23

Redwind, I think you are the exact type of buyer I'm looking for! Please start saving so that I can make sure this car goes to a good home someday.

You are correct, the muffler and pipes are aftermarket. I had them completely changed about 4 years ago to stainless steel, from the converter all the way back. My mechanic jokes with me that when he puts my car up on the rack it's like looking into a mirror when he looks at the muffler. That is the only part of the car though that is aftermarket; everything else is GM stock.

I do appreciate the feedback on the value as well. I know it's not a #1 car, (although I wish it was), but I would argue a strong case for a #2 car, and if you saw it in person I think you'd argree!

If anyone is interested or wants any more pictures, please let me know.

Redwind89's comment regarding room etc is the issue as these are not seen "worthy" of a $9500 price tag. A #1 88-89 LeSabre T Type might book at $9500.00 but I would want to see actual sales in that rarified air to be a believer.

That is no way impunes your car, as I said "awesome".

Guest jacky2010th

I would love to have it...but dont u think the miles are quite high. I alreay own a Porsch-MY BLACK beauty....

Guest Redwind89

Jacky at 76000 miles this car is not even broken in yet. Last year I sold my 89 black T-type with 207,000 miles on it and pulled 27 MPG on the way to deliver the car. I have also seen and heard of other ones going well into the 300,000-400,000 mile range.

BJM I have seen one 89 T-type with 17,000 miles go for 9700.00. Granted it still had the plastic on the seats and door panels. I have also heard of another one with 4000 miles that went for 11,000.00 also a one owner still fully wrapped from the factory, plus I have heard of two T-types from around the mid west getting apprasied at over 10,000.00 each.

Jcarberry If I had know about this one two years ago yes I would jump for it, but I already got another one that I'm starting to redo. It too is a red 89 one owner, with 90,000 miles. It just needs so love and paint. 21 year old paint with no wax doesn't look good. :)

Edited by Redwind89
second paragraph save the post (see edit history)

Guest jcarberry23

Thanks Redwind; I wanted to say something similar to Jacky but didn't want to promote my own car!

Someday maybe I'll stumble upon one of those with 11K or 4K as you mentioned above...hopefully by then I'll also have a 3 car garage (at least!), and I'll be jumping on it!

Until then I'll wait to hopefully find another enthusiast like you who might like to take a look at mine. If I do sell it, I'll feel a lot better knowing it goes to someone who will take care of it!

Redwind89

Thanks for the information regarding top condition values and examples.

I think the car could be sold for good money above $5000 then BUT the audience would still be smaller then for the more popular models.

Either and extended ebay auction with good content and photos OR a "live" auction where a person could get that emotional involvement from a whipped up crowd.

The alternative being a Craigs List auction where there would be little interest IMO.

Guest jcarberry23

I really appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm still really torn, as I love the car, but unfortunately garage space for me right now is at a premium and I've got to make a tough decision.

I'm a little skeptical of Craigslist; do you have any recommendations on a place for a "live auction", assuming I do decide to sell this? I've thought about eBay before, but I definitely think I'd want to do a reserve price, and I'm just wondering if that's a good place for a car like this? Would there be enough interest?

Again any thoughts are appreciated!

Guest wildcat62
I would say the value for the car is higher then what BJM said, but with that doesn't mean someone will pay more then 3500-5500 for it. It does have the aftermarket mufflers and pipes on it, so to me it would lower the value but to some it wouldn't. If you look up the 89 T-type's value in books a #1 is listed for 9500 with a # 2 for 7000. If I had the room or money for it I would jump at this car. They are starting to get harder and harder to find. Thriller to answer your question the only T-types that came with turbos were the Regal all others it was mainly an appearance package. Blacked out trim, different interior treatments, different wheels, different tail lights w/ the amber turn lens, better handling and just overall more refinements. I thing the reason everyone jumps at T-types being turbo is cause of the Regal and the following it has gotten.

T-Type Riviera's are turbocharged.

Guest Redwind89

Only the 81s-85s were. When the new body came out in 86 they no longer were. Plus before that the 79s-80s were called S-type.

You have what looks to be a beautiful car there. Unfortunately lovely as it is there just isn't much money to be had selling it. There was another really nice one on eBay a couple months ago and it didn't make it to 4K. Didn't have leather, but should give you an idea of where demand is these days.

Buick : LeSabre : eBay Motors (item 190376892397 end time Mar-04-10 10:17:57 PST)

Guest xerxes

One of the very best cars I ever owned was a 1989 Electra T Type. I put over 200K on it and gave it to an uncle when I got a new car. I usually got 27 MPG on a trip and it was always a joy to drive. Whomever get yours will do themselves a real favor by buying it!

• 4 months later...
Guest jcarberry23

Just thought I would post since I have had a few inquiries lately; I do still have the car and it is still for sale. I've lowered my asking price to $6000. Over the summer I had new power window motors installed (they are so much faster now!) and I put about $800 into getting the A/C operational again.

Car was also PA inspected (passed of course); had the oil changed and a new fuel filter installed at my request. Mileage is approx. 76,800 as of today.

Any questions, just ask! john.carberry@gmail.com

• 3 months later...
Guest WhiskeyRiver

Even though this thread looks abandoned....

I own an 88 Lesabre T-Type. Mine has every option I'm aware of, including factory dark tinted windows that even make the LesabreT club guys spin their heads off (They've never seen that option - the car has a build code they haven't ever seen and I surmise it's the windows.) Most importantly, mine is an all-original car with only 24,000 actual miles on it.

I read Redwind89's post where he said "If you look up the 89 T-type's value in books a #1 is listed for 9500." What book is he talking about? I'd sure like to have a peek at the book...

Thanks!

WR

Anyone want to venture a guess as to it's worth?

[quote=WhiskeyRiver;828794

I read Redwind89's post where he said "If you look up the 89 T-type's value in books a #1 is listed for 9500." What book is he talking about? I'd sure like to have a peek at the book...

Anyone want to venture a guess as to it's worth?

This is a tough one because although there is a cult following, there are not enough people that covet these cars to create a demand.

It sounds like you have a really nice car but who is your market? You would want to put it on ebay for exposure.

My guess is a really nice 1- or 2+ T Type would bring $6500 to $7000. Who is going to buy it? (I don't mean that the way it sounds) But who is the buying audience? For $9500 I can buy a whole lotta' Corvette, Mustang, muscle car, driver convertible.

I had a nice high end Kayak for sale this summer. But it was an older model. The buyer wanted it but his 1st 'spoken out loud' comment was "I'd like it, but if I have to resell it I think I am going to have a hard time..."

With a modern collectible like the LeSabre T Type, and most Reattas etc. there will always be that decision point where a collector will lay down the cash thinking he/she has made a good deal and can enter a satisfactory ownership experience without feeling stupid.

Supply/demand. Pure and simple.

Guest jcarberry23

I do appreciate the thoughts guys. I've had some interest in the car, but so far I'm hanging on to it because I feel that it's worth more than I've been offered. I get what you're saying about supply and demand and I agree, and I know the car isn't worth $9500 or even $7000 for that matter. But I think any car owner would appreciate the fact that they would want a car that they took pride in to go to someone who would do the same. It's a rare car, and maybe as the supply continues to diminish, the price point will change. As for right now, it's tucked away nicely in a warm garage for the winter!

Well you're the perfect owner actually. One who wants to own the car for it's intrinsic values and not turn a buck. I would continue to enjoy it and drive it then at some point it might be sellable for around $4000 or so and you would have had ownership for quite awhile.

Parts are now scarce. My 88, I do daily Jaxed Site mash searches with little success. Not a lot out there, even in the Lesabre 2 door models.

Guest WhiskeyRiver

Well, there was an 88 T with 20,000 actual miles that sold on eBay a couple of months ago for $7500.

It was a nice car... The dash was perfect.

The owner had taken all the T-Type badges off, the quarter panel emblems and the hood ornament, filled everything in, and repainted it. It didn't have all the options mine has. Most notably, leather.

Mine is all original, right down to the exhaust. Still the factor goods - It's never needed replacing. Original struts.... And, it's been serviced 4 times a year even if it never left the garage for three months.

I know for sure mine is the real deal....

Anyway, thanks for the input. I always enjoy the company of a Buick enthusiast. And here, we have so MANY...

Merry Christmas everyone!

WR

• 2 weeks later...
Though in my case, I can't say I'm too sad, as 1 year ago (nearly to the day), I purchased a 46K mile example in fine cosmetic and perfect mechanical condition with a sunroof, leather and ABS for $2800. The car was on Craigslist here in NJ, and the guy was asking $4500 originally.

-Scott

lst29.th.jpg

lst22.th.jpg

lst24.th.jpg

lst25.th.jpg

lst26.th.jpg

lst27.th.jpg

lst30.th.jpg

lstsun4.th.jpg

Doesn't matter necessarily what other prople think. Go buy a 58 Edsel, you'll get a lot of, uhm, comments. In the right crowd, this is an admired car.

Your pricing is very helpful. This is a REAL WORLD sale! It's evidently a big secret to the price guides. We seldom hear what the actual amount a car sells for. He see a seller point to the price guides to determine what they want for a car and then they seem to not budge or they drop off the forums or Craigs List or whatever and as a community we never hear what was the actual selling price.

Good information.

I'm a cheap wheels fan. Look, I can't afford a $30,000 muscle whatever. The best cars throughout the years are all cool to collect and enjoy. I just bought a running driving 74 Lincoln Mark IV which sold new for $12,000 in 1974 dollars for $800. LeSabre T Types, however, are drying up in all conditions.

• 8 months later...
Guest jcarberry23

Hello all--I'm still getting inquiries about the car and yes I do still have it, and yes it is still for sale. I've lowered my asking price to $5500, but that price is firm. Feel free to contact me for any additional pictures or if you have any questions. Thanks! John

john.carberry@gmail.com

• 11 months later...
Guest jcarberry23

Sorry I thought I updated this and did not! Thanks for all who expressed interest--I did sell the car earlier this year. Hopefully it went to a good home--it was a great car!