While the Dead Horse Beating.......

R W Burgess

........has been proceeding on the General Forum :rolleyes: ( http://forums.aaca.org/f169/old-vs-antique-vs-collectible-280181.html#post751289 ) , it occurred to me that an interesting judging question came up at a recent AACA Meet in the "South".

Terry's statement below brought it to my attention again:

"My 1914 T is an antique classic pre-war veteran old car, whereas my 67 GTO is a vintage collectable classic muscle car licensed as an antique, but is really just an old car that is quite historic because it represents the "muscle car era." Our 74 MG is a newer vintage classic collectable sports car that is a more modern post-war antique. The state of Virginia has deided for sake of simplicity to just call them all "antique." It says so on the license plate.

The thing they have in common is that they are all old cars - that's why we love them!

Call them anything you like, just enjoy them and bring them out to share with others.

Terry"

The statement that it "said so" on the license plate, actually happened at a recent Meet.

My judging crew was dealing with a show car that was a little cranky. The car did not have its hood open and it would not allow us to open it. Short of a crowbar (where are they when you need them???:D), we could not get the hood open. Now, I realize you're going to ask me why our team was even trying to open the hood, but we were just trying to help the owner out, as we realized that he was probably new to our rules. But, still, what was this hood hiding? Ummmm????? A 454 Cheby? A V-12 Italian Wonder? Just then, one of our team noticed the license plate on the back of the car!!!!:eek::confused:

It was a State issued street rod license plate. ;) Then the remark came up..."Well gee, it must be a street rod?"

I asked a Board Member about this. His response was, "What did the rest of the car look like?"

"Ahh, it was bone stock!", says I!

There you go. Team work and a knowledgeable Board Member saved the day.

Wayne

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I am not sure what question you are asking Wayne.....

But, NC Recently started issuing Street Rod License Plates, It is a long story.... and I have not actually seen one yet.

In NC, an owner would normally get that plate because a DMV officer had inspected the vehicle and determined it to not be a legitimate antique automobile. The reason someone would want an antique plate on a car in NC would be a property tax break that an antique auto receives, but a street rod does not.

If an owner wanted to get a street rod plate on a legitimate Antique in NC, they could request it and get it without an inspection, but they would be volunteering to pay higher taxes on the car, which I cannot imagine many people doing.

I am guessing it was not a North Carolina license plate that you saw.

I am not sure what question you are asking Wayne.....

.........I am guessing it was not a North Carolina license plate that you saw.

No, I wasn't asking a question, Matt. This was not an NC plate.

The point I was getting across was that even us, as judges, do not know everything, although the AACA Team Captains are very knowledegable. As a matter of fact, our Team Captain that day overlooked the license plate because it had nothing to do with judging the car, unless it had been deficient in some way.

I just thought it was funny that some would consider a license plate as being the decisive answer to every question about an antique/classic/vintage/old car!:)

Wayne

Guest Siegfried

Hi Guys just thought I'd chime in on this one. In Pa. your car must be a 1949 or older street rod to get a 'Pa Street Rod' plate. Anything newer that is a street rod gets standard plates unless the owner twists the rules, and goes for antique plates.

Pa. requires photos for antique and classic plates. The photos are front, rear, and both sides. If the car doesn't pass the photo scrutiny then, no go on the antique or classic plates. I was turned down once because of custom wheels on an antique. Second try with correct wheels got me the plates.

In Pa. antique and classic plates are permanent with no yearly renewal fee. Street rod plates, I believe, have a yearly renewal fee just like daily driver plates.

If an antique shows up at an AACA National Meet and it is a true antique by AACA standards then, the license plate should NOT enter into the judging criteria.

Once again, just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

As was stated , in Pa. it can really get bizarre. I recently went to register my 41 Crosley for antique plates. I had not yet installed the sliding windows in the doors and I had not put on the clips to hold my hubcaps on, so no hubcaps. I took my pictures to my notary and she said without the hubcaps and window glass, it will never go through!! She had just sent in pictures the previous week and it was rejected because there were no hubcaps on the car. So, I went back home and duct taped my hubcaps on and put a piece of plexiglas in the door and took new pictures. It went through the DMV without a hitch. My notary now keeps a pair of my old hubcaps and a roll of duct tape under her counter for people who don't have hubcaps.

My notary now keeps a pair of my old hubcaps and a roll of duct tape under her counter for people who don't have hubcaps.

You're an enterprising devil, Dave. ;)

No wonder I couldn't find in duct tape in Pennsylvania last week!!!:eek::)

I know where it all resides now. :D

Wayne