1940 81c convertible trunk lock - again

Joe Cocuzza

I found a friend that was a locksmith. He came over and tried to pick the trunk lock - no luck. So we drilled it out. Came out nice and clean.

New problem - the handle turns both ways and the "shaft" inside the handle turns freely, but not with the handle. So I still cannot get the trunk open.

Does anyone have a parts manual that shows the trunk locking mechanism?

At least if I know what I am dealing with I may be able to get creative.

How do you separate the trunk hinges? There is a "pin" in them but how do you remove the pin? I was figuring on doing that and tilting the trunk lid forward to try and get in there or to disengage the lock mechanism.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Joe,

I just happen to have my trunk mechanism removed from my 38 Special because the car is being painted. I am not sure if it is the same as your car, but there are two flat bars that rotate with the handle to lock both sides of the trunk. I can send a photo if you like.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I was home today trying to relax and take a snooze (I work nights), and all that kept running thru my mind is getting that trunk lid open.

As I said before, I did not want to remove the back seat.

I got up and went into the garage and got the biggest screwdriver I had.

I wedged the end into the lock area, against the shaft. I then pushed down on the shaft as hard as I could and turned the handle. As I pulled up on the lid - IT OPENED...........

Now instead of feeling a sense of accomplishment and going back to sleep, of course I had to clean out the mice nests and look at what was inside the trunk.

I did not find the million dollars I was hoping was in there. Instead I found 6 inner tubes, an extra trim ring, the spark plug wire cover(good thing I lost the one I was bidding on Ebay Sunday), 6 old car radios, 2 top boots (one the original), the jack and a mess of other stuff.

I sprayed the entire trunk and washed the mat - then moth-balled it to death.

One other thing - I have read in the AACA forum and elsewhere that these convertibles were prone to rust-out in the trunk and floors. I am lucky (and happy) to report that mine is solid in both those areas.

The next thing is to find a new lock cylinder (with keys) and find out what is wrong with the latch mechanism.

Thanks to all that replied with suggestions on how to approach this issue.

Thanks, Joe