1954 savoy rear hubs

Guest majordoh

Guest majordoh

1954 savoy I can not get the rear hubs off!! Any suggestions? i bought puller but they are on there. Had a rear tuff time w/ the nuts, but finally got them off. Thanks, Malcolm

Assuming you've got an adequate puller, you just need the right amounts of torque on the puller, patience, and maybe a little heat. But put the nut back on loosely so when it comes off it doesn't fly off a damage itself or someone in the area. I've had a few stubborn ones over the years, sometimes it took a day or more under the tension of the puller before it popped.

And when reassembling, DON"T use any lubricant on the hub or axle taper!!!

Guest majordoh

Thanks for info! What do I have to watchout for applying heat? Why no lube when reassembling? Any help is deeply appreciated! Thanks again, Malcolm

When you tighten the axle nut the hub and axle wedge together. This is all that holds them together under the torque of acceleration. The key itself is not near strong enough.

So, once they have a chance to grow together for 50 years they are very hard to separate. And when you put them back together you must be sure they are clean and fit tight together. If the hub is allowed to spin on the axle both hub and axle can be ruined.

Guest cben09

WHEN the drum comes off,,it will sound like a cannon shot at 3'muzzle distance,,and a drum can, I think break a leg,,Are you using a hydraulic or screw puller,,both work,,put never seeze on the screw thread,,be persistant,,you may even bend a stud,,,these can be really tight,,Over the years the drum heats on long hills and crawls on further,,,so a bit of heat while the puller is wound tight,,is a reasonable idea,,,Problem is worse with wood wheels,,,While tight,,wind up a good swing and hit the screw puller / with a good 10# hammar,,couple of blows,,,if it dont pop,,wind it up more,,,put hammar on 1 side of "neck" and whup it on opposite side,Big hammar on 1 side,,swing a smaller hammar,,its easier,,,ALL THE WHILE don't get in a position that you could get hurt if it pops suddenly,,THEN add heat,,,cuttin tip, turned to a soft flame,,I dont like dull red but the whole thing is junk unless you fix it,,start w/wet finger as on flatiron,,[does this generation know what a flatiron is???],,,fzzttt to pop,,,no color,,,smak it again and call me in the morning,,,Ben,,,P/S,,Packard tapers are awful,,If you PUSH the drum back on,,you may just may need the puller again,,The old Stanley steamers,w/ the short taper are civilized,,,long taper as in 740 are ugly like Packard,,,These tapers can be nasty,,,who else has real experience here,,,CB

For a puller you need the old 3 to 5 legged pullers that have a handle made to be struck with a 3 pound or so hammer. The real deal is made from forged steel and looks like it could be used on a locomotive. I got mine on Ebay for about $100. It should also have a cap to place over the axle stub. If you tighten the puller screw against the axle threads you will most likely damage the threads.

Tighten the puller by whacking it with the hammer until it seems solid. Then firmly tap the hub taper with the hammer all around it's circumfrence without going to extremes. The idea is to shock/vibrate the taper and encourage it to creep a few molecules outward. Do this a few times and you may get lucky. If not get out the torch and heat the hub taper a few hundred degrees or until spit sizzles. Repeat all of the above with increasing heat and hammer blows until it finally lets go. You will know when it's loose. Hopefully that will be before you fry the seals and bearings.

When you reassemble I would use a very light coat of anti corrosion (oil). There is argument on both sides of the oil/dry issue. Personally I feel a "holding" taper holds very well even with a very lite coat of oil, the nut is tightened to 145 ft pounds and locked, and the key is quite substancial. If you had a 429 Hemi in there and you were taking it to the track that might be different.

The book doesn't say either way, but if it was important that the taper be dry I imagine it would tell the mechanic to wipe his greasy prints off the axle before assembly...........Bob

Guest majordoh

A sincere thanks to all who gave there expertise! I will let you know how I made out. Thanks again, Malcolm