1934 dodge hubcaps

Dodge1934

My parts book lists a number of different caps for the 1934 dodge

theyare

623724 my car uses these it is a DT

622022 wire wheel caps

these do not include locking caps

I suspect there are depth differences with the different numbers and in looking at a couple I have they have different designs... mine have an even curve on the dodge name others have raised ends on the dodge name...

what do you know?

Don

Guest DodgeKCL

I have a 1935 KCL 1/2 ton truck and have been searching for good hubcaps for several years. Both '34 and '35 caps used the same logo. It is the word Dodge narrowing at each end like it is peeking out from an eye.

There is a guy outside Barrie Ont. and he is a bit of a guru with Dodges around those years. He tells me that the cap WITHOUT the raised ends on the word 'DODGE' are '34/'35 car caps in the U.S. The raised ended ones are '34/'35 truck caps in the U.S.

But for simplicity reasons,he thinks, ALL 1934 and 1935 car and truck caps in Canada used the raised ended caps regardless of model.

However I have only bought caps at fleamarkets in Canada and I have found BOTH styles equally prevalent.

I'm going to go with the raised ended ones on my KCL.

Do you need any? I have several left over. Some good ,some needing work.

Boy that doesn`t square with my experience.... I have a DT (only built in Canada) and it didn`t have all of its caps when I got it in 1970 but did have 2 and they were unique in two aspects.... they were very deep and they were flat on the edge (no eye effect)

It seems to be a function of the wheels and the front hubs.... none of the 35 and only the very deep caps from 34 will fit on the front wheels on my car... The front wheel hubs stick out too far to let the lower profile caps fit on the car... They will fit on the back and spare just fine .

I have been running my car for over 30 years with the wrong caps on it... except for the front ones... No one knew but me but it always bugged me.

That the guy from near Barrie didn`t know this is not real surprising... there are very few of these DT cars around.... since owning my car since 1970 I have only found 1 other like it and it is (was) in Elmvale Ontario near Barrie... this was a project being worked on by a son and dad and I used to see the dad at Barrie but they didn`t drop by the last year or so I was there so not sure the dad`s health, It would be easier if the part numbers were on the caps but I can`t say I`ve ever seen them with a number stamped on.

Guest Gurra

My 1935 KCL 1/2 ton have caps without the raised ends. It's a flatfaced cowl with a body built in sweden at "Kabo karosseri AB".

DodgeKCL - My caps are in used condition and I haven't tried to straighten them yet, so I may need some. How much do you want for a good cap?

Gunnar

The caps I need are the non raised end type and I only have a couple extra of those and these definitely need to be replated and fixed... I just had two redone to give me a complete set and it cost me $150.00 each to fix and replate and they weren`t that dented... though the chrome was very rough thus the redo

You comments encourages my thought that the deep caps were for the DT and the commercial vehicles

My extra deep caps if they are good enough for you are $40.00 each

the rechromed ones for a DR or DS are $80.00 each I could send pics if you are interested but it will be a week or two to get the pics

Don

Guest DodgeKCL

1933 Dodge hubcaps,car and truck, are 'flat' with the word DODGE in a rectangle. They fit a hole about 6 1/4" across. 1934,35 and 36 all have the word DODGE in an 'eye'. The question I guess is whether cars or trucks in '34 and '35 used the 'raised ended' style or the 'flat ended' style. 34 and 35 will fit a 6 1/4" 1933 Plymouth or Dodge wheel hole. The DT was a Canadian only Dodge basically a Plymouth in Dodge clothes.

1933,34 and 35 hubcaps all had spring loaded clips around their edges and snapped into a plain hole in the wheel whether it was wire or steel 'artillery style'.

In 1936 the clips were removed from the hubcap and installed around the edge of the wheel opening and the cap had a 'rolled' edge to it to snap in under the wheel hole clips. The 'eye' logo was still in use.

1933 'flat' caps are exactly the same as 1933 Plymouth except for the wording and will fit 1933 PC/PD wire wheels. And of course vice versa.

All 1934,35 and 36 caps have an indented line about 1/2" in from the outer edge and it's painted black.

For some reason I've not discovered yet,1934 and 35 caps came in a 'deep dish' and a 'shallow dish' version. I have both and also have both the 'flat ended eye' and the 'raised ended eye' style.

This would make 4 versions for '34 and '35: deep/flat ended logo ,shallow/flat ended logo ,deep/raised ended logo and shallow/raised ended logo.

The '36 Dodge ,as far as I know, comes only in one depth.

Does this answer the question of all the part numbers??

1933 Dodge hubcaps,car and truck, are 'flat' with the word DODGE in a rectangle. They fit a hole about 6 1/4" across. 1934,35 and 36 all have the word DODGE in an 'eye'. The question I guess is whether cars or trucks in '34 and '35 used the 'raised ended' style or the 'flat ended' style. 34 and 35 will fit a 6 1/4" 1933 Plymouth or Dodge wheel hole. The DT was a Canadian only Dodge basically a Plymouth in Dodge clothes.

1933,34 and 35 hubcaps all had spring loaded clips around their edges and snapped into a plain hole in the wheel whether it was wire or steel 'artillery style'.

In 1936 the clips were removed from the hubcap and installed around the edge of the wheel opening and the cap had a 'rolled' edge to it to snap in under the wheel hole clips. The 'eye' logo was still in use.

1933 'flat' caps are exactly the same as 1933 Plymouth except for the wording and will fit 1933 PC/PD wire wheels. And of course vice versa.

All 1934,35 and 36 caps have an indented line about 1/2" in from the outer edge and it's painted black.

For some reason I've not discovered yet,1934 and 35 caps came in a 'deep dish' and a 'shallow dish' version. I have both and also have both the 'flat ended eye' and the 'raised ended eye' style.

This would make 4 versions for '34 and '35: deep/flat ended logo ,shallow/flat ended logo ,deep/raised ended logo and shallow/raised ended logo.

The '36 Dodge ,as far as I know, comes only in one depth.

Does this answer the question of all the part numbers??

O.K...so....which year had the "raised ended eye" without the black stripe near the edge? Wasn't that 1935? I see no stripe on the '35 caps in my literature.

Guest DodgeKCL

All the 6 1/4" caps in my collection have the black line around the edge. My books show the 'eye' logo used atleast until 1939 BUT no black line at the edge in '39.

But the line is so close to the edge of the cap and the photo's resolution is so lousy it's not possible to be sure if the line is there or not.

And if it's a photo of a 'restored' vehicle there is no way of knowing if the guy used later caps and wheels. I find the '34 and '35 ones to be near impossible to find but for some reason there is lots of '36s. (Forget the '33 'flat' ones!!)

If an owner changed his wheels to the '36 style with the clips on the wheel opening and installed '36 caps it is almost impossible in a low resolution photo to see the error. (I believe '36 caps to be deeper dished.)

I'm forever going over to a flea market table when I see an 'eye' logo cap only to find it's a '36 or later.

Attached are 3 pic of the hubcaos I have the pic of all 5 show the one on each end are the same and fit my car... the pic of 2 show the eye and flat version of the deep cap... This deep eye cap is theonly one I have ever seen of this style.

the pic with three shows the three height of hub caps I have... I think the shortest ones are 1935... the other 3 belong on various versions of the 1934 model.... It would be nice to be certain what is correct where in terms of the models

PS I agree that the DT is a mish mash of Plymouth and Dodge... But I think they did a good job of selecting the best of both cars and also adding a few special bits... the DT had a Dodge labeled heater which I havn`t seen in any other 34 dodge vehicles... most have after market heaters

post-64230-143138194567_thumb.jpg

post-64230-143138194574_thumb.jpg

post-64230-143138194581_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest jfh1152

Can I buy one and try it?

If it doesn't work, I;ll just keep it.

I'm not 100% sure my wheels are 36.

John 860 227 0338

I just paid $150.00 to get my 34 caps replated... The one I have is a very good original and I need $75.00 for it... I can send you pics and measurments if you are interested....

send me a private message with your email if you like

Thanks

Don

Guest jfh1152

Please send me your name and address and I will send a check today.

Estimate the shipping cost and I'll add that amount to the check.

Once the check clears, then please mail me the hubcap.

This is the first time I used AACA. How do you send a private message?

Thanks John Herbst

• 3 years later...