65 Power Steering Question

buick840

I'm looking to replace the high pressure Power Steering hose on my 65 Wildcat and am looking for a complete hose with fittings that is as close a match as possible to the original.

Rock Auto lists a complete unit from either Edelmann or Gates.

1965 BUICK WILDCAT Power Steering Pressure Hose

Can anyone confirm they have the same style of plain black hose as used in 65.

I'd just like to confirm it will look the part before having it sent to Australia.

The only hoses I can source locally have a different texture and red or white printing all over them.:(

Regards

If complete originality is your goal, then the NOS ones might work best . . . but remember they were probably built in the same era as your car whereas replacement brand items were probably built somewhat more recently.

It IS possible that the part number in your literature changed sometime after the book was printed. In many cases, the GM part number was stamped into one of the fitting "crimps", on the flat band area near the crimped area's circumference.

If originality is important for "show issues", then you might first see about one of the NOS items (with date codes and such), but if you are more interested in a reliable means of getting fluid from the pump to the gearbox and back, then I'd be more inclined toward one of the replacement hoses (which should have more recent rubber in them) . . . if the vehicle is to be used "daily". To me, a key issue would be the age of the rubber.

As for the local-source hose, I believe that lacquer thinner will be remove the markings you describe, then you can use some silicone or similar to wipe on the cleaned rubber so that any drying action the thinner had might be compensated for. The other issue would be to make sure the rubber is compatible with power steering fluid (by that time, GM was spec'ing power steering fluid rather than automatic transmission fluid).

I know things are a little different "down there" than "up here" as to availability, but I would think that a local Gates distributor might be able to order the correct hose stock from Gates. It might take a while, though. You might look around in the Gates website to see what's there. Then combine that with some new (correct-style) fittings and you would have a new hose, locally, that could be duplicated for others, if desired.

As to comparing the pictures on RockAuto.com with what the NOS item might be, you might also check the service manual pictures.

Of course, finding out how much it might cost to get the hose built locally vs. what the replacement might cost might need to enter into the picture, too.

Your car . . . Your money

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Maybe a dumb idea but I'll throw it out there anyway. If you can find and outfit that makes hydraulic (sp) replacement hoses, maybe ya can take the orginal in and have em duplicate it??

Brian, what about a mob called ENZED. Do they exist over there ? There're a mobile hose manufacturer. I also would investigate the idea of rubbing off, if possible , the red / white markings with thinners / acetone etc and then I'd work some rubber grease ino the lines.