Coolant Leak Transmission Side

Guest Mc_Reatta

Guest Mc_Reatta

I could use some help in determining the location and cure for a coolant leak on the transmission side of the engine. I was hoping it was from the throttle body but alas it wasn't. Seems to be behind the bell housing as i can't see anywhere .

Anyone familiar with the coolant plugs mentioned in the FSM? There is a diagram showing plugs in the block with two shown in that area, but they don't indicate which are coolant and which are oil.

Is there another common leak area I may be overlooking?

Guest mongeonman

Search for freeze plugs or frost plugs in this forum,the motor has 4 freeze plugs on the block,2 in the front and 2 inthe back,they are about 2 inches in diameter,you need to get under the car to see them clearly.

There are two 1.5" core plugs (frost plugs) inside the bellhousing as well as the visible ones on the sides of the engine and are the same size. There are also two larger pressed in metal plugs in the bellhousing area, one each for the camshaft and balance shaft tunnels. Oil gallery plugs in the bellhousing area are threaded pipe plugs. You may be able to see up inside the bellhousing area if you remove the plastic cover on the bottom of that area, although I have never tried this.

1) Freeze plugs are a common leak point particularly if the car has been filled with tap water

2) I always replace with brass (marine) freeze plugs, makes me feel better.

3) Have been told that the trans side plugs can be R&R'd in the car but have never done that myself.

4) Feelings are mixed about the use of Permatex on freeze plugs but since a pain to get to...

Guest Mc_Reatta

Thanks! I wish the plugs I can see were leaking, but alas the coolant is only visible as it exits the bell housing via the access port.

Believe a proper fix will involve removing the tranny or engine to get at that area.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to attempt an easier fix I'd appreciate them. Limited access and visibility through the flywheel access port. Doctors can do amazing surgery through tiny incisions, wish I could use some of their instruments.

Barr's Leak or some other stop leak product poured into the radiator might stop the leak but it would not fix real the problem. It might stop leaking for a week or years. You never know. I would probably try it. Just don't go overboard or you run the risk of plugging up the heater core.