Starter Motor w/reduction gear and w/o

Guest Kingsley

Guest Kingsley

Presume the difference is the number of teeth on the Bendix gear between the two models. Just for curiosity sake, does anyone know the difference in the number of teeth on the Bendix gears as well as the teeth on the flywheel.

I have not examined this aspect of the Reatta closely and am going by what I have experienced in other cars.

Kingsley

Edited by Kingsley
To correct part nomenclature (see edit history)

I have never seen one of the Reatta gear reduction starters, but a few owners have been startled when they priced them. From what I can gather, either starter will fit the reatta.

There is no difference in the block where the mounting is.

I believe one owner said he put a standard starter on a Reatta that had a gear reduction starter.

Guest Telco
In the OLD days we use to use reduction gear starters on Hi Compression engines. Do not know the need for using one on a 3800 motor?

Packaging also plays a factor. The 3800 came in many vehicles, and a standard sized starter may not fit in all 3800-equipped vehicles.

Small gear reduction starter isn't needed but it does offer a lower amperage draw. Cost will be considerably higher if similar to what we used on my sons off road car. Helped header clearance too although not a factor here either.

Guest Drake

Another plus to the reduction gear starter, is you don't have to remove it when removing the oil pan. I believe the body of the standard starter blocks access to several oil pan bolts.