too many failed water pumps

Guest ballmon

Guest ballmon

I am on the fourth water pump now. I am averaging around 20K miles per pump. So, I am no longer thinking it is bad luck. All are/were new pumps with the first two being AC Delco.

The problem is that I can't figure out what the problem may be. The belt tensioner seems ok and fellow friend mechanics deem it ok also.

Could the tensioner loading change with the engine hot?

This is a 90 Reatta with 170K miles.

Thanks, Barry:mad:

Guest kennyw

Remember you are probably still using 20 year old parts. The seals are 20 years old. Even a new rebuilt could be using old seals. My brother had a garage kept 84 caravan. like new. Every replacement parts was 20+ years old. like you, sometime 3 or 4 to fix one problem.

ken

Water pump pully is smooth so a belt misalignment should not affect. Usually early failure can be traced to either a factory defect or too tight a belt but the tensioner should prevent the latter.

3800s do go through pumps but 50,000-80,000 miles is more common.

What was the failure mode? Squeak, growl, leak, etc?

Remember that nearly all "new" pumps are made in China and AC Delco doesn't necessarily mean NOT made in China.

You might want to bite the bullit and buy a genuine GM pump. Cheaper than four aftermarket pumps plus installation!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ballmon

Back to answering some of the questions. I never used distilled water, typically the city water. The last water pump failure, I was pretty confident the pump was going with a louder rumble in the belt system while the car was running. During shut down with the belt removed, the bearing seemed rough to spin. I drove it this way until it completely failed resulting in loss of belt drive.

I may just spring for a new belt tensioner. I can't imagine it is anything else.