British Racing Green color

Several questions about British Racing Green and the Auto Color Library website at: http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

First, I am restoring a British Racing Green 1962 Triumph TR4 and have heard the BRG color changed slightly between 1962 and 1963 TR4s. Can anyone verify this?

It is amazing how many shades of BRG I have seen on restored TR4s. I have seen some like my car's color which is a Green Green, then I have seen grayish green, and also yellowish green. All convinced they are BRG, which they could well be, but I would like a match to the original for my car.

I am looking into buying PPG paint from the Auto Color Library website. Their Triumph paint chips only go back to 1963 and the Ditzler color chip sheet for Triumphs covers 1963 - 65. The BRG listed for those years is Ditzler code 42487 and it is difficult to tell exactly what shade of green it is from the small sample on the website.

My car has had one respray years ago that appears to be an exact match to the hidden panels that still have the original paint.

The Auto Color Library people said I could send a small part like the fresh air intake cover and they could match the color. Anyone have experience with their ability to accomplish color matching?

Anyone have comments on dealing with the Auto Color Library for anything?

Vila

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Color matching a paint is not an exact science, although some body shops are convinced that their machine is infallible. Therefore you need to look for someone skilled at doing it, not just "trained". I had a metallic blue matched perfectly once by a true craftsman, and he took 7 or 8 shots at gettng the mix right after the computer came up with it's solution (which wasn't "grey" enough). When he was done you could NOT tell where he painted and where he didn't.

As far as the "correct" color, there are a number of originaltiy guides for TRs that you can use, Bill Piggot's book ( Amazon.com: Collector's Originality Guide Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 TR6 TR7 TR8 (9780760335765): Bill Piggott, Simon Clay: Books ) being the most prominent. According to it "British Racing Green" was available only through January 1963 (Commission # CT19518). After that date it was replaced with "Triumph Racing Green", also known as "Conifer Green". Apparently the change came part way throught the 1963 model year.

If you need more information, you can try contacting the Vintage Triumph Register. They have vehicle consultants for every model, the TR4 covered by Arthur Kelly. His contact information can be found on their web site ( VTR - Vehicle Consultants ).

You can also find period color paint samples from various manufacturers (and Standard-Triumph, although they're a little tougher) from numerous autoliterature dealers. You may have to buy a set of "Foreign Cars" colors instead of a Triumph-specific sheet/set, however.

Thanks Dave

I just noticed the TR4 Color Schemes section in Piggott's "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6 The Restorer's Guide" has a note saying that BRG was only available up to CT19518 in 1963. That said, the BRG listed for 1963 Triumphs should be correct.

My car is CT7771L, so I would think the Ditzler code 42487 BRG listed on the Auto Color Library website would be correct.

Thanks, Vila

AACA, VCCA, VTR, TRA, CPTC

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Hi Vila:

Get a hold of Jim Wells aka "Jimmy Chips" @ AutoColorLibrary, in regards to British Racing Green. He should be able to help you out - you can order a "spray card" for about $35.00? Scott in the Dodge Forum called him on my advice, I think you'll be happy to at least check it out.

Thanks Dave

I just noticed the TR4 Color Schemes section in Piggott's "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6 The Restorer's Guide" has a note saying that BRG was only available up to CT19518 in 1963. That said, the BRG listed for 1963 Triumphs should be correct.

That's the earlier edition of the same book I referenced. I have both books, the newer of which combines 3 into one book covering every TR from TR2 to TR8. It's supposed to be updated and revised, but I went through the TR4/5/250/6 section page by page and I couldn't find any changes.

Enjoy!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a British Racing Green Auto Color Library Color Card for my 1962 Triumph today.

PPG code 42487. Cost $36 plus $5 change for Priority Mail.

I will post how the match came out when I receive it.

They were very helpfull on this and several other question I had.

Bob Beers

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...