Which paint for '91 wheels?

Guest jcc3inc

Guest jcc3inc

Good morning,

I'd like to repaint the hubcaps and touch-up spots on a wheel for my '91. Somewhere in the past there has been a discussion as to which paint matched well. Could somebody say what they used?

Thanks,

Jack C.

Jack,

The factory recommend color for 91 rims (per a GM TSB of some years ago) is named sparkle silver. I know this was available in DuPont and I think PPG auto finishing products (same name, but color number code would be different by brand). The TSB also referred to Spies-Hecker which I had never heard of and have not seen sold anywhere - perhaps it was a regional supplier, or has been renamed since the TSB was first published.

I know that I had retyped the pertinent portions of the TSB in a post here well over a year ago. Try a search and hopefully it will show up. If not, I will go digging for my TSB (in a big file of misc paperwork so may take a while).

FWIW, I had my center caps repainted with sparkle silver, and it was a perfect match to the rims.

KDirk

Guest craig hewitt

Take your wheel to a paint shop they should have a tool (camara) that they use for paint matching a perfect match Then have them mix it and install in a rattle can Most of the time you will get two cans worked great for me as i needed to paint 12 wheels Craig !!!

Guest jcc3inc

Gentlemen,

I have looked over my folder of copies of problems/solutions that have been on this forum for the past 5 years. I have maybe 300 of these. Had I done this earlier, there would have been no need for my query.

On 1-22-08 I copied Kevin Dierkes' response that refers to a TSB #53-17-03A / May 1966 RE: Aluminum Wheel refinishing.

"Color Selection:

If the wheels being painted were previously clearcoated aluminum, we would recommend using Corsican Silver WAEQ9283 for a "fine aluminum" like look, or Sparkle Silver WA9967 for a very bright look."

On 5-20-06 I copied Barney's response on the problem along with his comments.

From Barney's post, WAEQ9283 = (PPG#DBC-3531); and WA9967 = (PPG# 35367) as alternates for paint suppliers.

Thanks for all your comments over the years. They have been very helpful.

Regards,

Jack C.

In reference to my 2006 post.... there was a discussion about which color to use.

A couple of regular posters were going to get some paint and report on which of the two colors was correct.

Four years later, no report. If I were going out to buy paint, I would try the PPG # 35367 first. The reason, over the years, I have purchased several (6-7 touch up cans) different GM silver paints and none of them had the high metallic content that the wheels have.

Barney,

Based on my repainted center caps, sparkle silver is a match to the stock 91 wheel color. Bear in mind that I did not repaint my wheels as they were in reasonable shape so the paint was slightly dulled from 17+ years of exposure. With that in mind, I cannot say sparkle silver was equivalent to brand new factory finished rims, only that it was a good (near perfect) match to 17+ year old rims with original finish.

If one was repainting the rims, I would suggest doing the center caps at the same time. I believe you have even pointed out here before that the factory finish on the caps was very slightly mismatched to the rims. Of course, one would have to do all 4 wheels to ensure consistency, but sparkle silver should be a good match even if doing only one of four. Of course, it would still need to be clear coated as well for proper appearance.

KDirk

Kevin you are correct that factory hub caps and wheels were not a perfect match.

At one time the thinking was that was because the wheel is aluminum and the hub cap plastic and when painted you got a difference because the base material was different.

I believe the problem was because they came from different suppliers.....

Like you said if the wheel and hub car are painted at the same time they match.

From experience, I had a set of '91 wheels painted white (which was an option on white cars)

and they are not 3 years old and they still match.

Side note.... the factory white wheels and hub caps did not match either.