55 horn assembly

Rooster

• 5 years later...

I've read this and other topics and still can't figure out how to re-assemble the horn on my '55 Roadmaster.  If I follow the diagram above, it seems that the horn ring is fastened to the wheel with the nut on top of the steering shaft, so it won't move.  Then the horn button is attached to the ring with the threaded contact plate so that won't move either.  The spring is permanently compressed between the two pieces and doesn't allow movement.  What am I missing?  Is the horn supposed to blow by pressing the button or the ring or both?  Thanks.

Jeff

Edited by Nahart (see edit history)

I have to look at one tomorrow, but I think cup "K" is supposed to be the other way around. The bottom of that cup fits through the hole in the ring and attaches directly to the wheel with the nut. The spring pushes the horn ring out and away from the wheel. When you push the ring, it grounds and completes the horn circuit.

Just as I suspected...

I have looked at that picture before when I first did a horn button, but haven't looked in ten years. Cup "K" is illustrated backwards.

I have done this at least twenty times on 55's.

It should look like this (and in the order as illustrated).

post-77619-0-10264200-1433434801_thumb.j