1935 Desoto Airstream window rubber mess help!

Guest DarkCherryS10

Guest DarkCherryS10

I have a 1935 Desoto Airstream. It's a four door. When I bought it, it didn't have any windows. I have the windows now, and the windshield frame.

However, I'm looking over rubber for the windows and it's totally confusing. I'm looking at https://secure.steelerubber.com

I've also looked at Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts: Weatherstripping

My problem is, they list several different kinds of front windshield rubber, different measurements etc. Same for side windows.

I have no idea what I need to order or which one of the different kinds.

Has anyone done this on a 35 or 36 Airstream or Dodge and is able to help tell me specifically what I need?

Guest DarkCherryS10

How long did you have it? I'd hate to go through this all over again! I'm not looking to drive it in the rain a lot but still.

The part that come to mind is the piece that goes around the gas fill and hooks to the fender on my 36 Dodge. It has been on the car for about 15 years and is now cracked like old rubber gets. I dont park it in the sun or rain unless I am driving it.

• 2 months later...
Guest martylum

I just took a peek at my Steele Rubber catalog-it looks like they list F and R molded window gaskets for 36 Desoto Chrysler Airstream cars and they very well might work on the 35 cars. Get in touch with them via their website.

I have also found some parts in Metro Molded Rubber's catalog which are unique to Metro so you might want to order one of their catalogs.

Martin Lum

• 1 month later...

I'm not 100 % sure, but here is what I think the confusion might be:

I have see several Aristream's with different windshields styles: Some

flat, some split. some with Chrome around the entire outside. I've even seen them with the windshield wipers hanging from the top. Between

the Desoto, and Chrysler, both 6 and 8, I tend to believe they are not

consistent. This my be why the confusion.

Eric

I have a 1935 Desoto Airstream. It's a four door. When I bought it, it didn't have any windows. I have the windows now, and the windshield frame.

However, I'm looking over rubber for the windows and it's totally confusing. I'm looking at https://secure.steelerubber.com

I've also looked at Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts: Weatherstripping

My problem is, they list several different kinds of front windshield rubber, different measurements etc. Same for side windows.

I have no idea what I need to order or which one of the different kinds.

Has anyone done this on a 35 or 36 Airstream or Dodge and is able to help tell me specifically what I need?

• 1 year later...

1935 De Soto Airstream SF. I purchased a 35 Airstream in 2010 that had been sitting in a barn for 38 years in the very dry central "Transvaal" in South Africa. The only 2 item`s that was broken on the car, were the hood mascot and the speedo glass.

I have sourced a glass from a Antique clock collector, butt I am still looking for the Mascot. Can any one PLEASE help? My car is a 4 door with dual side mount`s. I am about 80% done with total restoration.

Regards,

Godfrey.