54 Dual Exhaust

Guest Mike Hogan

Guest 41Super

I had dual exhaust installed on my '55 Special. The drivers side pipe goes down between the oil pan and tranny and meets up with the passenger side pipe. From there the pipes parallel down the passenger side through the X frame (30" glass packs installed here) and out splitting just before the rear end. Then up and over, one side by the gas tank and one by the spare tire well.

Guest 41Super

Yes, the holes are approx. 6-7" oval, large enough for two 2 1/4" pipes to fit thru. To amend my prior statement the drivers side exhaust crosses under the front part of the oil pan not between pan and tranny.

OK. Thought about doing that myself when mine needed a new exhaust. But I opted for a single after the exhaust shop convinced me. I'm happy with the flow and tone from mine, but there's something about twin pipes out the back and that raw V8 burble. :cool:

I think the biggest plus was that they made a new 2 > 1 under the sump, which replaced that horribly restrictive original.

In my 54 Special we cut a round hole in the frame under the drivers left foot and ran the left side to the back mirroring the right side.