Non Riv gas tank for a 63

petelempert

I'm on my second gas tank for my 63 and I'm still getting junk stuck in the filter and carb...mostly rust particles. I have replaced all the soft lines and I'm getting ready to replace the steel line too. I think the tank is the culprit. Now, I don't really trust used tanks, don't really want a custom built job and don't want to use any of the liner products out there. Here's the question: Does anybody know of a reproduction tank being made for another GM car of the same vintage (maybe early Impala?) that might fit in a 63? I'd like to start clean with a repro if I could. You'd think there might be some similarity since if they are both GM. Any ideas? Thx PRL

I guess I'm suspicious of any 40 year old tank now. The most recent one I bought looked great...of course I couldn't see in every nook and cranny. The thought of a brand new repro tank interests me because it's a clean slate. I just figured the GM sister cars that do have repro tanks made might be a good option...but it's just a notion. PRL

• 11 months later...

I've used Gas Tank Renu before. They can also do the tanks on your radiator. I even had them do my gas filler tube for an old truck. That thing must have had a dozen holes in it and they patched it up really good. I kept that truck for many years and didn't have any more gas tank issues.

They will blast the tank to bare metal and then re-coat inside and out. Any holes are permanently sealed as well. I see Texas has a dealer.

See this link.

Gas Tank RENU - USA

I'm slowly chasing the bugs out of a 63 that sat for 12 years. The gas tank issue seems to be better...pulled it again and pressure washed the snot out of it, recently pushing lots of fresh gas through the thing and changing the filter out every few weeks. Ironically, now I'm fighting squawks at the other end of the car. The carb is now the issue. Making progress but have to constantly remind myself that the darn thing wouldn't run at all when I got it. PRL