swapping spark plugs

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Hello all, How hard is it to R&R the spark plugs? I know it is probably not to hard but due to a back injury I now have trouble staying bent over for more than a few minutes at a time. The front set look easy but what about the set by the firewall? Is there stuff in the way and is starting the new plugs a problem.

Regards,

Richard

PS The car has begun to idle very slightly uneven and these are the plugs that were in the car when I bought it back in May 2009. I have no idea how long they have been in the car.

I generally just do it from the side but could also just put a 2'x2' piece of plywood on the engine and lie on it.

Plugs "should" be easy with 2 1" extensions or an extra long 5/8 plug socket. Should be 15-20 lb-ft but have seen some play Godzilla. I always replace the 02 sensor at the same time.

Rear bank should have metal shields, I put on all 6 if available.

Guest Richard D
Richard if you want to bring it to Delray ill change them. Let me know ill pm you my phone num.

That is extremely kind of you Bobby, my neighbor was putting new pads on his rear brakes and was having some problems retracting the pistons so I helped him and he offered to swap my plugs for me.

What brand and number of plug do our 3.8s like the most? Platinum? No gap fire injectors from JC Whitney (LOL) or plain ole AC Delcos. I am running the original Magnavox coil system and am not using ANY oil.

Thank You Again,

Richard

I have been having trouble finding #14s as well but can be used with the Magnavox if you close the gap to .045" (later ones allow regapping). In fact the only difference I have found between the #3 and #14 was the gap but the early, non-platinum plugs were not supposed to be regapped.

See Rapidfires.

Guest Richard D

Thank You to all, I will look for a set of new 14s and gap them to 45 thousandths.

Best Regards,

Richard

PS I will also keep an eye out for a Delco coil pack and make the Magnavox a spare.

Guest Richard D

I just pulled a couple from the front and they are AC Delco 44s that are burning clean but the electrodes are showing wear. I found Delco 14s at Auto Zone for $ 7.00 each. Is that about right?

Thanx.

Sounds a little high but what's another sawbuck or two.

$3.75 ea + S&H from Summit

Will admit to being biased but IMNSHO the 14 works best with a Delco ignition. Of course all of my 3800s have Delco ignitions.

They also have #3s for the same price.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I would suggest pulling the O2 sensor also because it makes getting to the back rear plug a lot easier... but the back side is still a hand mangler.

I agree with gapping at .045, it made a world of differance in performance for my '89 w/198K miles. Factory calls for .060.