1939 Parklights

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Bought a pair of parklights on eBay the other week almost complete (missing one reinforcing bracket). We were pretty happy with our purchace until they arrived poorly packaged and with one lens broken!!!:mad:

So, does anyone have a spare parklight lens they want to sell please? We're going to wire them up as indicators. Should make life a bit easier driving around town. Hand signals in a left hand drive car in NZ are not the best!

Cheers

Grant

Grant, They are supposed to work with your high beam lights. As you know the parking lights are inside of the headlights. I have one car that the previous owner (Mr. Jenkins) had wired up as turn signals. That's nice too; however on the car we're building now we're going to try and rewire them to work as both high beam lights as original and turn signals too. There is a Buick Club member in Arkansas who makes the sockets necessary to do that. You outbid me on that pair of parking lights. I just bought a single to match a single I had so I'd have a spare pair, or I'd sell you a lense. I just don't have enough spare lenses. In fact I just bought a pair of NOS off of eBay. I have four '39 Buicks, even if one is for sale and I can't seem to sell it.

I also bought a pair of fender lights on ebay about a year ago and need 2 lens (Grant: the marroon set) VERY hard to get lens. I have tried. Been told 1939 Packard fit but are a slightly different shape. Skip Boyer may be making plastic lens

Many 1939 fender lights on ebay are missing the base (Grant : check the images I sent you)

I was the under bidder on that single fender light (that had a base). Was on the phone with a building contractor & bidding on ebay at the same time (about 3:00 pm here). Could not place a bid in the final 32 seconds :(

I also bid on Grant's set but forgot to be on the computer at closing time

I preferred ebay when you knew who you bidding against. Some times I did not bid again guys I know & one guy in particualar did the same for me on parts I was keen to get.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Was on the phone with a building contractor & bidding on ebay at the same time (about 3:00 pm here). Could not place a bid in the final 32 seconds :(

I also bid on Grant's set but forgot to be on the computer at closing time.

That's why I use a bidding scheduler software. Sometimes known as SNIPING but really it is just convenient. Just set and forget. It also avoids bidding frenzies, price creep and friends/relations artificially running the price up.

Too easy.

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

Right. We need a roster for parklight lenses!;) Anyone consider using 38 ones as a temporary measure? Our 38 has lenses someone has made on a lathe out of clear acrylic. Polished the outside, and left the inside. Does the job.

Cheers

Grant

That's why I use a bidding scheduler software. Sometimes known as SNIPING but really it is just convenient. Just set and forget. ,
Have looked at the snipping software but never applied it.

Right. We need a roster for parklight lenses!;) Anyone consider using 38 ones as a temporary measure? Our 38 has lenses someone has made on a lathe out of clear acrylic.
Do the 38's fit the 39 housing ?

Have looked at the snipping software but never applied it.

Do the 38's fit the 39 housing ?

Bugger ! I just went and pulled my '38 & '39 lenses out to remind myself what they looked like. They are reproes I bought from Bob's Automobilia (10 years + ago) but I see he no longer lists them for the '39s. They are very good copies. Glad I bought 2 sets when I did.

I can take some pics after I get back from the pool if you like. 39+Cel here at the moment. 43 Tommorow........................................................................

Danny

The 1937 lens is closer to being blunt than the 1938 lens, and the Packard lens will not work. It has a chrome base on it. Gosh! Those Packard lenses are always trying to be pawned off on '39 Buick guys. I got the light, without sniping, which I abhor, and I was sitting on the computer and made my bid at the last second. I also got the pair of NOS 39 lenses, new in the box, by paying $103 for them. I lost the pair of lights that went to Mr. McGrath, but you win some and you lose some. I haven't cheated with sniper yet in my life, although a friend sent the software to me. Find me a RH rear fender skirt bottom molding for the 1941 Series 50 and 70 and I might trade with somebody. But remember, I've been collecting '39 stuff since the early 1960's, so that's why I have some of this stuff. Problem is, it is thinning down, so I've been trying to re-stock.

I got the light, without sniping, which I abhor, and I was sitting on the computer and made my bid at the last second.

HMMMMMMMMMMM:confused::confused:

Maybe Sniping in the US means something different but I thought Sniping was "sitting on the computer" and making a "bid at the last second".

You won it because you complied with the rules of eBay, that is that you had the highest bid at the time the auction ended. If there is a section on eBay chivalry and/or etiquette, I have yet to see it.

It's good that you have the luxury of being able to be sitting on the computer at the last second but there are a lot that can't for a multitude of reasons.

It's all just good sport. You win some, you lose some.

The main thing is that the parts get used by someone somewhere and are not thrown out into a dumpster to never be seen again.

Got any bites on your '39 yet ? Sure wish it was RHD and in Sydney.

Danny

I can take some pics after I get back from the pool if you like. 39+Cel here at the moment

Yes please (36°C 99°F here at 6:00 pm)

Got any bites on your '39 yet ? Sure wish it was RHD and in Sydney.
What about using those spare chassis you have ? (but need a right hand transmission)

Comments about sniping have had a fair run here and on others threads. Enough already said about that topic in my humble opinion. Discussion about 39 Buick's is more interesting

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Yes please (36°C 99°F here at 6:00 pm)

What about using those spare chassis you have ? (but need a right hand transmission)

Yes, chassis' I have and many right hand transmissions also. Getting the time to do something with the stuff that I have is the thing I need to focus on.

I just think that Earls (hope I've got that right) '39 for sale looks like an incredibly good value for money car that I could drive now while I dicker around with my current restoration(s).

Working on the pics of the lamp lenses now.

Danny

Well, for what they are worth. (my photographic skills are suspect to say the least)

Pic 1 is a lens that came on my '38, middle is repro from Bob's Automobilia and to the right is the repro '39, also from Bob's.

Pic 2 is the rear of the lenses. The '39 is on the left and '38 is on the right. They are different. Can they interchange ?? I would think you could with minor mods. (but why ?)

Pic 3 is '38 on the left and '39 on the right.

Pic 4 is lights where they should be.

For what they are they look good.

Danny

post-37069-143138161971_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138161973_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138161977_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138161979_thumb.jpg

Danhar and 1939 Buick I've got to say one more thing about sniping. It is good sport to want something really badly and "beat the machine" by trying to get in the last bid; but it isn't sport to set up a program that automatically outbieds everybody else at the very last second.

As for my car, no getting no bids. I had it put up on eBay last week for $14,900 and got nary a bid; yet another car with what does not appear (pictures lie) to have a good paint job has been bid up to around $10,000 twice. I have $21,200 in the car and can't get a fair offer. Some guy bid $7500. So, I may go ahead and do everything I haven't already done and drive my money out of the car....drive it every day or on long tours or both.

If anybody, any 1939 Buick lover is interested, I just put the car back up on the Buy and Sell area. If you want to talk directly to me, write to me at FireballStr8@aol.com.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Well, the latest on the parklights is that we're going to experiment with turning some lenses up on a lathe out of perspex. I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out! Someone did that for our 38 before we bought it, and it looks ok, but instead of frosting the inside, it was left unpolished, and you can see the lines from the turning. Wish us luck! If it turns out ok, we're getting some more made up to sell. But not to people who've told me they've got some and aren't selling them!!!:D

Cheers

Grant

Well, for what they are worth. (my photographic skills are suspect to say the least)

Pic 1 is a lens that came on my '38, middle is repro from Bob's Automobilia and to the right is the repro '39, also from Bob's.

Pic 2 is the rear of the lenses. The '39 is on the left and '38 is on the right. They are different. Can they interchange ?? I would think you could with minor mods. (but why ?)

Pic 3 is '38 on the left and '39 on the right.

Pic 4 is lights where they should be.

For what they are they look good.

Danny

Is that car in the pic "sequoia cream?"

I have no idea. It is actually 2 tone and more a yellowy cream in the flesh. It is owned by a fellow here in Sydney. I'm sure he wouldn't mind showing it off.

Danny

I'm thinking of doing mine that color, but I've seen some that are way more yellow too, so I am not sure which one it really is.

That one is perfect (though I like matching wheels).

Guest Grant Magrath

As Earl says, Sequoia Cream was available for open topped cars. But Buick used sequoia cream sedans in their 1939 advertising. I'll scan a really nice National Geographic ad for your visual pleasure! Our business coupe was bryce beige with tan mohair, but we've done it sequoia cream with dark red leather. Looks damned hot! I'll put some more pictures up when the interior is finished.

Cheers

Grant:)

It may be possible that it could be obtained as a special order, but all the factory literature I have says convertible only. In addition, there could have been a mid-year change for which I do not have factory information. For example, the color of my convertible coupe, Lasson Green Metallic was not available at the beginning of the year. Also, red wheels where not available at the beginning of the year in 1939 but became available in the Spring of 1939.

good info...something to think about. Sequoia Cream is defintiely my favorite color, but I want it to be accurate too. Since my heater was installed through my ID plate, there is no official color code for mine (although I am certain it was black).

sorry to derail the thread guys

as far as the lights go, mine has the holes in the fenders for them, but they were removed well before I ever acquired it

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks Allan.

$60 worth of Perspex. Not sure about being UV stabilised. These were turned on a lathe and the outside was flamed to get the shine. Some 1800 wet and dry on the inside to erase the fine lathe lines should make them perfect. Should turn some up in different colours for the hotrod boys!

Cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Grant Magrath

Are you asking Mark or me? I can vouch for Mark. He's a good guy and you can buy with confidence from him!

Cheers

Grant

HI do you still have the lenses left ?

Janne

Janne

How desperate are you & how much $$ do you have ?

A pair of lens on ebay now. Buy now US$150. These have been on ebay before

1939 Buick Guide Front Fender Lamp Lens Lenses NOS : eBay Motors (item 270544776296 end time Mar-20-10 15:31:28 PDT)

I would have bought those at the original price but the seller seems to not want to take Paypal from outside USA. He doesn't say why. He also seems to have a few issuses given all the negetive crap he goes on with.

Not a good marketing strategy telling potential customers " do not buy-do not buy" over and over.

When do your repos hit ebay Grant ??

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

Good question Danny.

When I recover from the beating your cricket team is giving us! Again! Actually, the guy who made them has refined the process some more, so they should be even better! I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

To be fair, I have noticed that the price of postage from the USA has gone up considerably in the 9 years I've been on eBay. Mostly in the last 2 years. Is it because people are charging more for handling to ramp up their prices? Or is USPS charging more to cover increased security? It doesn't help when you buy a pair of sunvisor brackets, and they cost over $50, and the postage is the same. The size of the carton was ridiculous! To post stuff from NZ to the USA is a huge amount cheaper. I wish they'd bring back surface mail!

Cheers

Grant

Guest 39convertible

sorry i asked Mark if he still has the lenses left

and Danny, i tried to buy those lenses too but he gave me the same answer.

seems like an odd guy.

he told me that paypal told him not to sell to people outside USA beqause of the not verified credit card?????.

i told him that i´m a verified member but he woldn´t sell anyway.

i beleive he suffer from some kind of illness in the upper regions.

Janne

G'Day Janne

I too am verified by Paypal. I don't believe the Paypal line. That's what they do, it's there business. Some people in the U.S for some reason believe it is a super difficult job to post outside the U.S. When you post out of the country you need to fill in a declaration form with really difficult questions on it.

Questions like " What is it ?" " What is it's value ?" "Is it a firearm?" Just too much effort for some it seems.

I could have got someone in the U.S to buy them for me and post them on to Australia but I didn't even try. The major NEGATIVE ATTITUDE put me off. Crappy way to do business. Thankfully, most Yanks aren't like that.

I'm sure someone here from the U.S could be a go between if you really wanted them.

Danny

(Can one say Yank here and not get yelled at ??:P)

Guest 39convertible

Danny

i agree with you and i have a friend in MN who can bought it but as you say he hade a really BAD attitude

I know Mark have a pair of lenses that i talk to him about but i can´t find our emails but as soon he see this he might contact me again

Janne