1929, 30 ,31 Nash Model Numbers

I can not fully understand what the various Model number stand for. Could one of you Nash buffs please refer me to a website that has a good listing of model numbers along with technical information. I could not find that information, even at the Nash Club website. I would like to learn and school myself as I am a potential, soon to be, Nash owner. I thought I knew a little and as I read I realize I understand very LITTLE. :confused:

Thanks,

Alan

I have a 32. This should confuse you even more :)

The 3 years you listed should be three digit numbers. It seems a little like the Packard system, sort of.. I am not up on those 28-31 years, so I am not sure if the first digit denotes a "year" or just the series. I guess I could figure that out on the NCCA by looking at pic descriptions..

Anyways, I'll explain the 1932 number system if that will help..

It took me some time to figure out the 1932 cars, but then after I found out there were TWO different complete Nash lines in that year, then it made more sense.

There were FIVE different series with different wheelbases and engines...in 1932 there were FIVE series of early and FIVE of the later style..

The first series 1932 was actually leftover, unsold, 1931 bodies with a few new body parts like a new grille to attract new buyers. Those cars are 1932 Nashes but are called "1932 First Series", which was the last use of the 3 digit system. These early 1932's are "900" series cars...the first digit (9) denotes the "first series of 1932", middle digit denotes both the engine AND Series model, and the third digit is the body type style.

In spring of 1932, Nash came out with a completely redesigned 1932 new model, which used four numbers. It had to go to four because 10 comes after 9 ..if you get what I am trying to explain. :)

My car body tag is stamped 1063 - 38 . So we will decipher that:

The "38" on the end is the body sequential number and my car is the 38th 2dr conv sedan built.

Now decipher the first number; 1063

The LAST digit is the body style; in this case, my 3 denotes a 2dr 5 pass conv sedan. MORE body styles:

- 0 or ZERO is a conventional sedan (only 4drs that year)

-1 is a cabriolet

- 2 is a business coupe (a 2R is a rumble coupe)

-3 is my 2dr conv sed

-7 is the Town Sedan that has no rear quarter windows (4dr)

The THIRD digit in a 4 digit number denotes the Model Series; in this case, 6 is the entry level Six cyl series.

- 7 would be the smallest/shortest of the 8 cyls; the "Standard 8"

- 8 would be a slightly larger 8 with longer WB;" the Special 8"

-9 would be the next larger 8 called the Advanced 8....but it now gets confusing...because the 9 also is used on the largest model "the Ambassador 8" but to explain that would take a while :)

So, then the First digit on a 3 digit year, or in my case with a 4 digit year, "my" 10 stands for the "second series of Nash cars in 1932" If a car was 11 for the first digits, it would be a 1933

So let's assume the 1931 Nash used the same system... a 960, to me, must be a 1931 built, 4 dr sedan, with the 6 cyl. Don't know for sure, but a look at the Nash club members pics might help.

You might find the body types with model numbers on a paint chart from the old days, and maybe the paint charts on TCP Global website. They have charts for a lot of cars there like my 32. They show the body numbers and styles, but it won't say what W/B or engine series.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

F & J

Thank you very much for taking your time to school me on the reasoning behind all of the numbers that Nash uses. I tried to do a search but that did not help very much. Your explanation gave me a much better idea of what the heck they are telling me with the vast array of different models and numbers.

By the way, I was most impressed with your write ups and pictures regarding your Nash Convert. What a nice way to save a car and stabilize if for many years to come. I have a Salt Flats Speedster I will do something very similar to your method for the body structure.

Thanks Again.

Alan

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your additional information. I am beginning to grasp the nomenclature that identifies each model. Still a bit confusing as it appears that some of the lines are still a bit blurred. Would you send a PM and share a phone number? I would like to ask you a few questions.

Regards,

Alan

• 1 year later...