Thermostat change

charlie1

OKay, Sprague Manitoba yesterday morning...-39.8 degrees celcius. My 88 was toasty warm with a 195 thermostat. Others who ride in my car comment what a nice warm car it is. I put the 180 in during the summer, but unless I get the prom changed to kick the fans on sooner, it doesn't help as it will run up to 210 before they kick on, and by then the whole radiator is warm defeating the purpose of the 180.

I went back to the 195 one, also. I know many problems are caused by excessive heat, but the car was designed for 195, so.......

Plus, I don't know how to change the fan setting, and I believe that another detrimental condition other than heat, is also excessive thermal cycling. Using a 180 T-stat seems to have operating temp swings greater than the 195 without the fan setting change, whick I don't like to see (i.e. 175 - 210, depending on vehicle speed).

I'll stick with 195 for now.

Just a note - several years ago we were up in Indiana in January when it was hitting 0F in the morning. Started right up and soon at roast you out even for Floridians with a 180. If not getting enough heat I suspect you have a different problem. (Hot/Cold servo not functioning properly is common).