Bowman Automobile

Guest muledeer

Guest muledeer

hello ,

I am interested in any info or the whereabouts of any parts/complete car manufactured by the BOWMAN manufacturing company ...anyone have something?

Guest muledeer

Thank you, Keiser

Would you know of any surviving cars ,I have lived in a city called Bowman all my life ,and would like to acquire a vehicle with the same name .

Guest muledeer

Whoops!,

I discovered that the car submitted by keiser is a Clement-Bayard made in France ....this car was sold by the Sidney B Bowman auto dealership in New York , he obtained rights to sell them in 1904 I found out ,I think the year of this car would be about 1910-1915 judging by the tires and fenders ,etc ....the car I am looking for is one made in Covington Kentucky from 1921-1922 . it was supposed to have been made by the bowman motor car manufacturing company , I don't have any more info ,no pics, etc.

If someone has something on the car made in kentucky please let me know.

Thank You.

Edited by muledeer (see edit history)

Guest Gary Hearn

Have you tried the local library? If you are in Bowman they may have something. If not, see if your county has a historical society.

Guest muledeer

Gary,

That will be my next move , contacting the Covington, Kentucky chamber or local Covington historical society,..... I am in another state , the car was made in kentucky.I was hoping someone in the forum could provide some info.

Thank you.

Guest brassnutboyz

Standard Catalogue of American Cars confirms that there were at least 5 different Bowman autos made. The one you refer to was built in Covington Ky in 1921 and 22 as you have already found out. They were unique to most manufacturers as they built their own engines , (4 cylinder) they offered roadster and touring cars and were 108 inch wheel base. Catalogue says that the car did make the automotive press but for some strange reason a picture of the car did not appear in the local newspaper. They sold for 1045 in 1921 and increased the price to 1185 in 1922 and then quietly deparated the scene. Brasssnutboyz

Edited by brassnutboyz
correct spelling (see edit history)

Guest cben09

Next question is did they in fact make any cars,,,or just one or two,,The historic society is important,,,Also see if there is an existing list of cars registerd in that period,,Sometimes the state will have nothing,,but the "tag" group will come to play this out,,Club members have been VERY instramental in gathering plate info in Maine,,We save every bit of info ,,filling the gaps as we can for over 20 years now,, You may or may not find the car of your dreams,,,,,However,,,you probably will end up with enough info to write a book,,,Richard Fraser did,,,and has a second edition,,recently,,weeks ago,, Press on and good luck,,,Cheers,,Ben

Guest muledeer

Thank you for all the info so far ,it is a lot more than I had before, brassnutboyz, I just wanted to clarify something in your response, are there five different companies that made a car with the Bowman name, or did the covington ky plant make five different models?

Your Bowman questions points up a good suggestion that our national A.A.C.A. should undertake: Publish a membership directory that includes listings of members' cars. Then you could simply look up "Bowman" or any other make, year, and model, and find the owners who had them. Wouldn't that be great for putting hobbyists together?

Other clubs, such as the Classic Car Club of America, the Buick Club of America, and the Lincoln and Continental Owners' Club, do just that with their directories. After all, clubs are all about cars and camaraderie, and if I obtained an unusual car, one of the first things I would do would be to get in contact with owners of similar cars. If a member chose not to list his cars, that would be his prerogative.