'88 / '89 Aux Input replacement for Cassette Player?

BrentS

Now that I've fixed the radio module (and center console is disassembled), I'm contemplating doing some kind of aux input change to replace the cassette player in my '89, so I can play an ipod or similar. I tried doing some searching, but can't seem to find instructions.

Has anyone done this on an 88 or 89, and/or have a link to some detailed instructions? Thanks!

Guest steveskyhawk

Brent,

The 89 is the easiest of them all. Connect a stereo phone plug to the audio wiring that comes out of your tape deck. Do not reconnect plug. Put a gutted casette in the tape deck. Turn tape deck on via the CRT. Plug in Iphone and enjoy. Volume on Iphone needs to be all the way up. When the phone rings the music will fade out and the caller will be heard through the radio. Now you have a hands free phone which is the law in CA. Color coding for the wireing is in the FSM or on this forum if you do a search. Note that casette deck will no longer work but who listens to casettes anymore?

Thanks steve for the reply!

I'm still a little confused:

Are you essentially intercepting the audio out wires that go from the deck to the radio, and putting in the aux jack output to those?

Does the remaining wires still need to be connected to the deck (power, signal from radio or CRT, etc)?

Does the deck still need to actually turn a "gutted cassette", while your playing the ipod/iphone?

What if the cassette deck doesn't work? Mine has a plastic piece broken, and clicks, and is all screwed up.

Guest steveskyhawk

Brent,

Yes,

Yes,

Maybe unless someone has figured out a cleaner/better way

May not matter.

I have also done the aux input to a 91 that had no CD. Once again you are faking the radio into thinking it has a CD via a switch and hooking the audio to the CD in audio plug. That works equally well.

Looks like you can just hook up the audio inputs, assert the #13 pin (cassette detect), and select "play" without any cassette unit. I just verified (my cassette in the 88 works) you have to push "play" even if a cassette is loaded to switch to the aux input.