1924 Ignition Switch

DoubleG

Hey guys,

I took my ignition switch apart to have the face plate painted and to clean the grime off of it. After putting it back together, I find that the key sticks and will not turn. Is there anyone around that specializes in this part? Or maybe a schematic showing how the ignition is put together?

Thanks for the help.

GG.

I had a feeling that it was one of the levers being out of place. But when I look at them sitting on the key they all look to be level. Could it be that they need to be lapped in or maybe some graphite would help? Anyway, I would sure appreciate that picture if you have it handy. Thanks for the help jan arnett!

GG.

I solved the problem! Not only do the levers need to be in their correct position, but apparently they all need to be facing in their same original direction when reinstalled. They have a ruff burr edge on one side. If two rough sides butt up to each other, it offsets the levers enough to prevent the key from being tuned. At least that's what the trouble was with my ignition switch. Lesson learned, install the levers exactly the same way in which they were removed. Thanks for the help guys!

GG.