Rear Window

Guest C.F.Massie

Guest C.F.Massie

I'm in need of a rear window for my 89 coupe, it has the remote entry antenna and of course the rear defrost. I've seen them for sale on Ebay but I'm never quite comfortable having one shipped by someone not in the glass business or that routinely ships auto glass. Reason for the need is I can't get the darn tinting off without stripping the antenna or defrost lines, boy have I tried, and my tinting is now in horrible condition, bubbling discoloring and it has made seeing out the back quite the challenge or should I say impossible.:(

I have procured locally a replacement front windshield and I am going to go through the entire vehicle to restore it, it has been a daily driver for many, many years (275,000 miles). Anyone have any suggestions for procurring a rear window besides Ebay?:confused:

FWIW the occasional poster here (forget his name at the moment) who runs ProSource Glass in Massachusetts has a couple on hand in his inventory, at least as of a couple of months ago when I spoke to him. Pricing he quoted me was around $700 (less shipping I think) for the late 89/90 design which had different RKE embedded antenna than the 91's. If you can't salvage the existing glass, a clean used one is probably a better way to go for a daily driver with high miles. The new ones he had are a lot of bread unless you have a like-new car, or are doing a major restoration and really want brand-new old stock.

Since rear windows are needed much less frequently than windshields, I'd think they are easier to find from a salvage yard. Just make sure the rubber trim is in good shape.

KDirk

CFM,

Have you tried a window tint shop in Topeka for removal of the film?

FYI, I talked to a tinter here in AZ a couple of years ago, he told me to use a spray bottle filled with water and soak down the filim (from the inside), then tape black plastic trash bags over the inside of the window, park it in the sun (or in KS this time of year, use heat lamps on the outside), this should allow the film to be removed.

Good Luck

Guest C.F.Massie

Dave thanks for the tip I just came back from one of the places in Wichita that Car-Parts.com said had a rear window. I purchased one of them for only 175.00 and it was in great shape, seal and all. They have a front windshield still in a salvaged 90 Reatta and they will let me have it for only $50.00, they use a professional auto galss company to pull it for me for only $50.00. If they can do it without damaging the encapsulation I think at $100.00 its worth getting it as another spare windshield.

Guest Richard D

My Insurance company spent over $1,700.00 for a new Pilkington windshield. I would say you got a good deal. I hope the defroster traces are good.

Thank's to Ronnies site I now know how to remove my rear window tint without damaging the defroster. Many Thank's

Richard

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Guest C.F.Massie

I couldn't believe the luck I had with Dave's info about car-parts.com, I did not notice any breaks in the defroster lines or the remote entry antenna line but I'll know for sure after I connect it to a power source and check it. Repairing those lines is simple if there is a break.

As far as removing the tint from the original rear window I have tried Ronnies instructions plus other suggestions from other websites and some professional tinting shops non of these worked because the tint was baked on so hard, installed 1995, it would not come off using these methods. I deferred to the last resort of finding and replacing the rear window. But thanks again for the suggestions gang and a special thanks to Dave for turning me onto that website.;)

Just gotta love this forum with all the knowledge and help it provides.:D