1936 Buick Special request for info

Guest wabi

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been reading many posts and threads with growing interest especially since i recently acquired a prewar Buick 1936 special victoria coupe framenr.: 2891176, enginenr.:43059366 of which I only know it was originally sold in Denmark and came to Holland in the seventies where I bought it from a classic car dealer who could not tell much about this cars history.

I would like to ask Dave if he can help me trace this cars history through the above nrs, I have also attached a foto of the firewall plate.

Cordially,

Rodney

post-65041-143138138051_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Rodney:

I can't read the data plate even when I try to enlarge the picture, so would you post the actual numbers from the body data plate?

The frame number (2,841,176) you give is for a Buick built in Mid to late December 1935 for the 1936 model year. The first digit of 4 in the engine number tells me that your car is a 40 series Special and the balance of the number (3,059,366) is the original engine in the car.

I hope this helps you get started.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear Rodney:

I can't read the data plate even when I try to enlarge the picture, so would you post the actual numbers from the body data plate?

The frame number (2,841,176) you give is for a Buick built in Mid to late December 1935 for the 1936 model year. The first digit of 4 in the engine number tells me that your car is a 40 series Special and the balance of the number (3,059,366) is the original engine in the car.

I hope this helps you get started.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear Dave,

Thanks your reply.I appreciate that very much.Here are the numbers:

1936 mod 48

Styleno 36-4411

Bodyno 7128

Trimmno 246

Paintno 425

The nr 4 in the framenr you quoted should be a 9!

Is this really an original exportmodel (re)assembled in Europe or possibly a later import from the States.

Most of all I'd like to know if Buicks meant for export have the same parts as their US counterparts of the same model and year of course.

Also the emblem on the hood puzzles me, seems not to be the original one and in my quests on the www havent found something similar.

Best Regards,

Rodney

post-65041-14313813961_thumb.jpg

Wabi--- I am quite sure all the '36s manufactured stateside for shipment out of the country have the letter X for export stamped on the cowl data plate. This would only be on the cars going out of the country. With the absence of the X, I would say your car was manufactured/assembled either here for an owner whom shipped it to Europe,or in a plant outside of the U.S.. Dave, please correct me if I am providing wrong information.I highly respect your knowledge,Thanks.---Bob

Edited by Seldenguy (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Rodney:

I've been out of town for several days, so sorry for the slow reply.

The numbers you give are for a car that Buick calls a "Special 2 door Victoria Coupe." Later the model 48 was called a 2 door sedan, but it's about the same car. I own a 1938 model 48, so I'm familiar with the body style.

The numbers would indicate a car built for use here in the USA. Body Number 7128 makes your car the 7128th of the 21241 model 48's Buick built for 1936 plus 82 (not 94) export cars. In addition, there were 192 cowl jobs built for export, probably used for ambulances or funeral cars.

I don't have the 1936 trim and paint numbers, so would the rest of you folks help Rodney on those?

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Rodney:

You are correct that I mis-typed the frame number with a 4 in my response. However, I did the research right so the build date and engine info is correct.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Rodney -- From the '36 ordering book your paint and trim are as follows; Paint #425 is Moderne gray metallic (I think I have read that this was the first year Buick used a metallic paint) The trim reads out Toupe mohair fabric. Hope this completes your data plate inquiry.--Bob

Dear Dave and Bob,

Many thanks again for your info on the dataplate. Seems according to Dave that the car was originally a US car and that it must have been shipped to Denmark by the owner.. BUT the speedometer reads in km/h and NOT miles and there still remains the question of the different hood emblem(see picture added earlier).I must then assume that the former owner(s) must have replaced the speedometer and the hoodemblem. The colors (interior and exterior) dont seem to be original either.The present exterior is dark purple(see picture) and the interior is more like olive mohair( source: Le Baron Bonney).

Best regards, Rodney

Rodney -- Speedometers calibrated to read in kilometers were available here in the states,or at least in Canada (I have one in my pile of '36 parts). So I'm quite sure they could be ordered in Europe to make the owner more adjusted to the local road signs. ---Bob

Guest Harry HT

Km/h was "must"(?) in sweden at sometimes and maybe in denmark too. Not in Finland. GM continental S.A. in Antwerp assembled clusters like this. In sweden they used also some extra dial with km/h glued on original cluster dial. Seen at least some chryslers with those.

-Harry-

post-53716-143138143782_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry HT (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this whole form...can't figure out how to post a new form question.

Does anyone know or know anyone who is familiar with the 1936 Buick Special suspension. I need to remove and install the pivot pins in the lower control arms.

How do you remove them and then install new one?

THANKS

Robert

• 1 year later...
Guest 1931 buick

hi every one

i am new to this forum also.i just bought a 1936 buick[i think century]it is a 4 door black with sidemount fenders,122 inch wheelbase.looks to have been always black.id#2912290 on the frame.i can not find the id plate.i think it has been removed .i think it should be on the firewall on the passenger side.but it is not there.can anyone help me or tell me how to have one made.

thanks.bill in wyoming territory

hi every one

i am new to this forum also.i just bought a 1936 buick[i think century] it is a 4 door black with sidemount fenders,122 inch wheelbase.looks to have been always black.id#2912290 on the frame.i can not find the id plate.i think it has been removed .i think it should be on the firewall on the passenger side.but it is not there.can anyone help me or tell me how to have one made.

thanks.bill in wyoming territory

For a firewall data plate try Dave Tacheny (he should give me a discount as I refer him so often) Area number is 763 now, not 612

The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com

The best man on planet Earth for late '30s Buick parts is Dave Tacheny. Believe it! Mail your want list to him at 11949 Oregon Ave. N., Champlin, MN 55316, or call 612-427-3460.

122" wheelbase is indeed a Century : a very fine car

Is this a restoration project ?

And we like photos !

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)