89 Riviera Steering Column Issue

Guest ryan89riviera

Guest ryan89riviera

Hey guys,

I have a 1989 Buick Riviera I just got it and my Ignition Cylinder Lock crapped out on me. Anyway I took it to my mechanic and he put in a new ignition lock and it still didnt work so they ripped apart my steering column and found a broken rod in there that was connected to the ignition lock. Well turns out that you can't buy that rod, and no have the steering column in ontario. So I was wondering if there is a steering column that is similar to the 1989 riviera column, that would be a little more common to find in ontario(greater toronto area). I have owned the car for one week, paid 500 bucks for it, certified no problem except for a new ebrake cable(and my mechanic is pretty strict when it comes to the safeties), and the appraisal guy for the ministry of revenue said the car was easily worth 5000(had to pay him a bit on the side to knock the value down so I didnt have to pay as much in tax), so I would like to hold on to it, but if parts that should be common cant be found like this, im going to lose my mind.

I hope to hear from you all soon, thanks in advance.

I would double check that you have the right Ignition Cylinder Lock . The 86-89 have what they call a anti theft tumbler. If you have the wrong Ignition Cylinder Lock it is not unlocking the column. I have seen parts guys say the Ignition Cylinder Lock out of the 79-85 will work in those and thye dont the key blanks will. I had and extra one that i took out of a parts car i will check to see if i have it still i think i sold it tho. There are a few of the 88-89 Rivs in the junk yards here i can check for you What color you need? Send me a pic of the "rod" that is broke and i will check my parts pile i parted two of these modles out. E mail me at buickrivieraman@yahoo.com