Where is this article from?

Guest Max. M.

Guest Max. M.

the quality of the attached images is terrible, but you can still see the title and authors name (Cliff Prodger) "Autonews Editor" I didn't find any "Autonews" magazines but I did find "Automotive News", is that the same magazine? The article is for sale on eBay, but I really want a complete magazine. The article was probably published in 1952-53 time frame, if anybody knows which issue had this article please let me know.

I've checked the AACA Library catalog, the 52 53 issues are not there, ebay doesn't have them either

post-59307-143138123461_thumb.jpg

post-59307-143138123464_thumb.jpg

Guest Max. M.

just finished looking through the contents for all issues from 1952 and close to all from 1953, turns out "google books" archive has a limit on views, so for now I'm blocked,:confused: so far no sign of the article above, I might've overlooked something or I haven't reached the right issue

another thing I noticed is that the first 20 pages of almost all Life mags. have ads, one of the pages from the article above says "Turn to Page 14" could be a clue that it's not in Life, but I'll keep looking

Edited by Max. M. (see edit history)

I suspect that the writer was the auto editor of a non-automotive magazine. Argosy and True both carried automotive features on a monthly basis about that time. The other guess is that it came from a British magazine. I googled the name Cliff Prodger and the only thing it came up with was a World War I aviator.

Guest Max. M.

I also tried researching by name, "Cliff Prodger", Clifford Prodger all bring up an English test Pilot. There is no trace of this article on the Internet. I doubt a British mag. would write about a car in California, but I'll look into that

Guest Max. M.

the scans are all I have, it's possible to estimate the size of the pages based on the font but I don't know how that's going to help, many mags used the same format. Popular Mechanics is archived on google, I've already searched through that. Mechanics Illustrated is on the net in bits and pieces, still looking though

What are the sizes of the pages. Could it be Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illistrated?

I think if you printed those pages in an 8.5"x11" format or smaller, then the picture captions would be in a typeface that'd be too small for most people to read. I really think this is a Life- or Look-sized publication..., Possibly Saturday Evening Post or Parade magazine.

Edited by Dave@Moon
added Parade magazine. (see edit history)

Guest Max. M.
Some of the detail like that very strong backbone tube looks like something copied from the brilliant work of Hans Ledwinka in Czechoslovakia for Tatra. It would have been simple and logical for the Russians to copy something good and proven from within the Iron Curtain.

there's no backbone tube on the Pobeda, it's a unibody with independent front suspension

thanks to everyone that replied, I didn't even consider looking in non automotive magazines before

I don't think Life would ever have had an automotive editor on their staff. However, Look may have. If you recall, if you're that old, during the '50's and 60's, Look published a New Car issue each year. I should still have a few of them stashed away somewhere. Come to think of it, a lot of automotive literature that I remember having is packed away in that place called somewhere, wherever that is.

Guest Max. M.

john2dameron I wasn't there to remember 50's and 60's,:) I'm 22. I've never even heard of some of the magazines mentioned here until now. If you do get to your magazines and are willing to spend time looking through them the article would be in an issue from July 1952 to the end 1953, that's when the rest of them were written, Pobeda Article Archive. after that all I found in the archives are bunch of sale ads for the car

Rusty_OToole, CARS magazine did have an article on my car but not the article I'm looking for, I still have to find out the exact issue of the one attached below,

post-59307-143138125723_thumb.jpg

post-59307-143138125727_thumb.jpg

post-59307-143138125732_thumb.jpg

post-59307-143138125737_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

there was a publication called Auto News that was published in New Zealand in the 1960.s, it usualy had quite a bit of American content , back then comparing US built cars to european(british) was like comparing chalk to cheese. sorry i have no idea who actualy printed it or when it stopped being printed , but can remember it .

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Max. M.

a seller on ebay helped me track down the correct CARS magazine issue with the article above, it turned out to be in the very first CARS issue, explains why it was so hard to find

I'm still on the hunt for the article I posted in the beginning of the thread, so far no clues to even what publication printed it

• 2 months later...
Guest Max. M.
I suspect that the writer was the auto editor of a non-automotive magazine. Argosy and True both carried automotive features on a monthly basis about that time. The other guess is that it came from a British magazine. I googled the name Cliff Prodger and the only thing it came up with was a World War I aviator.

still looking,,, did some more name searching and according to this http://earlyaviators.com/eprodge1.htm Clifford B. Prodger (The WW I British Aviator) had a son named Clifford Buddie Prodger (1920-2004) he and his family lived in US. I Also found articles by Cliff Prodger in October 1953, and March 1954 issues of Motor Trend. The Article I'm looking for is definitely from an American magazine. I also contacted the current AutoNews publication, and they can't confirm if it is in fact from AutoNews because the format of the scans is different.:confused:

Guest Bob Call

Gary is right. There was a thread here a few months back about this car and I seem to remember someone identified this article as being in Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated in 1953.

the quality of the attached images is terrible, but you can still see the title and authors name (Cliff Prodger) "Autonews Editor" I didn't find any "Autonews" magazines but I did find "Automotive News", is that the same magazine? The article is for sale on eBay, but I really want a complete magazine. The article was probably published in 1952-53 time frame, if anybody knows which issue had this article please let me know.

I've checked the AACA Library catalog, the 52 53 issues are not there, ebay doesn't have them either

I am pretty sure I have a copy of a magazine at home (at work right now)called Autonews that has a Crosley article in it. I didn't look too close but I got the impression the mag was English or Australian. I'll look for you tonite.

Guest Max. M.
Gary is right. There was a thread here a few months back about this car and I seem to remember someone identified this article as being in Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated in 1953.

I searched the forum, no luck so far, are you sure it was this specific car and article?

I am pretty sure I have a copy of a magazine at home (at work right now)called Autonews that has a Crosley article in it. I didn't look too close but I got the impression the mag was English or Australian. I'll look for you tonite.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max. M.

I contacted the author of modernmechanix blog, and he confirmed that the format is not what Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated would use. I searched this forum and did not find anything about this article. Maybe the discussion was about the ZIS.

• 2 months later...
Guest Max. M.

bought a magazine off eBay called Automotive News, the description mentioned my car so I thought I found it, when it arrived to my disappointment it was a different article. Automotive News also used an 11"x15" format so it can also be ruled out, still looking.

Max...have you contacted the AACA Library & Research Center? Click on Library on the Home Page or contact out librarian Mr. Chris Ritter: critter@aacalibrary.org (Ph: 717-534-2082).

Regards,

Peter J.

Guest Max. M.

AACA library is the first place I checked, I ordered and received everything Chris found on the Pobeda, the article was not there.

AACA library is the first place I checked, I ordered and received everything Chris found on the Pobeda, the article was not there.

You are welcome anyway, Max. We tried...

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

a seller on ebay helped me track down the correct CARS magazine issue with the article above, it turned out to be in the very first CARS issue, explains why it was so hard to find

I'm still on the hunt for the article I posted in the beginning of the thread, so far no clues to even what publication printed it

You're welcome.

• 2 years later...
Guest Max. M.

sorry I'm a year late to update this topic, Chris from the AACA library tracked down the correct Autonews issue. Thanks again Chris. I browsed through the AACA library and searched by magazine instead of auto make and model, found Autonews. Turns out "Autonews" magazine was only published for a year in 1950's which explains why it is so rare. The magazine later became "Western Automotive Journal" and Cliff Prodger was the editor there. Still trying to find an original copy for my collection.

post-59307-143141865121_thumb.jpg