Fitting new oil pan gasket in-situ

Guest Dave41

Dave, I believe your 42 will be similar to my 47 Special. I posted the same question within a thread back in June titled: "gunk removal 248 strait eight need advise" and received good tips. I'll be doing mine this fall. Here's what I was told... no need to remove any steering linkage or the exhaust down pipe. This can be done with the engine in place. When dropping the pan, You do have to turn the crank to the "right" spot to get the pan past the front journals. Get some extra pan bolts and cut the head off. Use them to help align the gasket/pan. I plan on using the Indian Head Shellac gasket cement made by Permatex. Please, anyone...chime-in if I'm mis-informed. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Frank

Dave, I believe your 42 will be similar to my 47 Special. I posted the same question within a thread back in June titled: "gunk removal 248 strait eight need advise" and received good tips.
Thread here: http://forums.aaca.org/f162/gunk-removal-248-strait-eight-need-263397.html

• 2 weeks later...

Frank

I put the Buick up on the hoist this morning, and it went as you said, the front 4 bolts are accessed through holes in the cross member that will pass a half inch socket , the next 4 I used a small ratchet and the rest are clear.

When you drop the pan you can see which way to turn the crank to remove it

Edited by Dave41 (see edit history)

I usually tie the gasket in a few places thru the pan bolt holes just to make sure it doesn't slip out of place. Once all the bolts are loosely in place I cut the string and pull it out. I use a thin thread and if there is a couple of places I can't reach to cut the thread I just leave it there. It won't cause any problems........Bob