Another Buick 38 Coupe Business :)

_Phil

Well ... It s just a regular 46 . Really rusty . If I work fast , I could drive it it in 4 or 5 years ...

Fun is it have a 41 radio :P

Not functionnal of course . But nothing is functionnal in this car :P

I live in Canada , I bought the car for 1200 $ CAD, and I knew it was mine when I saw it in ads .

The vendor vanished .

All I have is a frame and a body . I gave the engine to a friend .

So .... I d really like to know more about my toy ..

Fortunately there are still plates :

1938 MODEL 46

STYLE 38-44278

BODY 7358

TRIMM 400

PAINT 515

On the frame :

The car is supposed coming from NY .

I d like to know more from this :P

I still don t have the nose , but a 37 perfect and 2 38 grilles . Can change ...

The beauty :

100_0216.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Nali:

You posted the right numbers! The numbers decode as follows: Trim 400 is for Tan Bedford Cord, Paint 515 is black and the frame number 1 (Flint plant code)3,364,448 is for a mid to late May 1938 car built at Flint. Based on the frame number, you're looking for an engine stamped: 4 (for a Special) 3,539,571 to 4 3,556,085.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Man, that's certainly a project, but this is coming from a recent basket case buyer. Mine is a '37 Special four door that's pretty solid for a 70+ year old car in about the same condition as yours. Mine had an engine but it was junk but I found a '36 to use. Car cost me $550, plus $100 gas to pick it up and another $400 for the engine plus another $150 to pick up. Although the body is pretty decent the front floor boards are bad along with the trunk.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted on the progress. I'll be posting pictures as I go along as soon as I get some time to work on it. So far, we've just removed the front fenders.

picture003.jpg

picture002.jpg

Thriller , yes it will be street rod . this may be a pb for many people , but the car is rusty , incomplete and would cost me at least 30.000 to make it match number again .

If it was complete , I would have restore it stock with pleasure . But ...

I save it from scrap , so ... :P

Sure I wont have friends with a 38 hot rod :P

The engine I gave was supposed to run in a 1926 Ford , but it s too heavy , so he took a F300 instead . Maybe one day I ll get it back .

My donor is the grey , the red is my daily :P

100_2618.jpg

So .... This 38 will have a 350 Olds / TH 350 inside , Scarebird disk brake ( thx Mark ) , and surelly a blower later .

Purists will hate me .

I ve seen we are many from the Empire :P

I m quite a fresh part of this , I m french and live in Quebec since 2003. So please be indulgent if my english is not always perfect .

Pas de probleme. Votre anglais est bien mieux que mon Français.

There are Buick rodders around here as well. The practical folks will recognize that not all cars can be saved to be restored. I think saving a car from the crusher and making it very personal is fine. I haven't done it myself yet, but may someday.

Nali,

I encourage everyone to keep an open mind with original versus modified cars & trucks.

After all, it would be much more difficult to keep original cars on the road without original parts from modified cars....

And, modified cars owners often rely on "purists" to buy those parts to help finance their modifications....

Thanks guys , I feel a little bit less ugly :P

So I dare ... The 38 nose is nice , a real beauty . But it s much too long . I don t have this nose . I have a 37 , but don t wannna cut it . So I will make it smaller , have no bumps of course ... The idea is having the fenders at the same level of the nose , 3 inches :P