Survivor?

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

How old does a car have to be before it is considered a "survivor? Does having any cosmetic work done like a paint job or new carpet remove the survivor rating? The 71 Skylark has had the paint touched up, NOS convertible boot and NOS carpet installed and the Reatta has had a paint job, did I lose any chance of being called a survivor?

Thank's all

Richard.

Guest re-reatta

The term "Survivor" is actually a trademark of Bloomington Gold. A car must meet the following criteria to be considered a "Survivor":

1. Is 20 years or older

2. Completed a 20+ miles road test within one hour

3. Over 50% unrestored, un-refinished, and unaltered the way it left the factory in at least three of the four areas:

a. Exterior (Paint, Trim, Glass)

b. Interior / Trunk

c. Under Hood

d. Chassis (Suspension, Frame, Wheels)

4. Over 50% of the original finishes (paint, fabrics, plating) remain good color references for restoration of a car just like it.

If I don't have this quite right, I'm sure we'll get some input.

Guest Richard D

So it looks like by having the Reatta painted I lost any chance of calling it a survivor. That's ok, I would rather have a shiny Buick than one that is slowly turning back into iron oxide. The Skylark might still qualify, it is 90% original paint.

Thank's for the information. I have never shown either of my Buicks at a real show before and it doesn't look like they would qualify anyway.

Richard

So it looks like by having the Reatta painted I lost any chance of calling it a survivor...

I know nothing about concours ratings. But based on the above, wouldn't you would qualify on points 3b, 3c, and 3d? Unless, of course, you changed the color. Then point 4 would be a problem.

Guest Richard D

You are correct, I misread the requirments. The Reatta was painted in the same GM black as when built. They also made sure all panel gaps were aligned. I am not after any trophys I just enjoy looking at collectable cars and showing mine, and did not want to be refused entry after driving half way up the state or being snickered at by folks who have concours condition cars. I really enoy driving my cars.:D

Thank's Richard.

The Skylark, with 90% original paint, would likely qualify to be judged in the unrestored class at a BCA meet. The judging there is more about whether the basics are original...wear items can be replaced without penalty. The items that are judged are given a pass / fail mark - some are required.

I am not after any trophys I just enjoy looking at collectable cars and showing mine, and did not want to be refused entry after driving half way up the state or being snickered at by folks who have concours condition cars. I really enoy driving my cars.:D

Thank's Richard.

I have to say that is EXACTLY how I feel when it comes to my car....

I'm apprehensive about showing up to anything even a cruise night in a rusty "survivor" car. I just want to drive and enjoy her so if that means that my girl is not the shiniest car at the ball then so be it...if I'm there that means I drover her there and I get to drive her back ;)

• 2 months later...

Padgett:

My old Triumph Spitfire came from the Tampa/Sarasota area, and brought a pretty good deal of rust/corrosion back to Chicago from the Gulf.

Tom T

Why I live at least 60 miles from any coast. Salt spay rusts a car from the top down. Remeber when I was stationed at Patrick AFB (the cape), I would TDY downrange for a week and return to find my burgundy Camaro white.

Guest mhuffy

When I lived in South Miami, cars that had been sitting in parking garages near the water were the worse. They were rust all over....top, under, and anywhere air could get to. A friend found an old Lincoln and tried to restore it, but inside the frame was rusted so bad, he could not save it. I was told this was typical and for that reason, I would always stay away from coastal cars. Padgett, by living in the Orlando area, is far removed from the salt; however, there is still the humidity issue. Central Florida can be like a sauna.

Marc

You mean the "100 days of summer". Is really our winter - utility bills go up and you do not go outside unless you have to. Thankfully again Orlando is far enough from the coast that the humidity is not quite as bad but you still try to get things done before 90.

Then I get most garage work done btween midnight and 4 am. Weather we are having now is what we put up with summer for. Was chilly today, think it got up to 50, but still acquired some Fiero headlamp motors at the U-Pull-It.

Odd thing about Florida to westerners is that the temperature swing is only about 20 degrees per day unlike AZ where my sister lives and the swing is more like 30F. So if the high is 90 the low is 70. No idea why.