1935 Dodge , Vibration at about 40mph.

Guest Ned Kikly

Guest Ned Kikly

I get a good vibration that shakes the whole car when I reach 40mph,then seem so diminish when I reach 50mph. I have had the wheels balanced. It still vibrates when I put it in neutral at that speed. Doesn't seem to be the engine as cause. Could it be alignment or drive shaft out of balance?:(

Guest Ned Kikly

Would U- Joints vibrate when not under power? There doesn't seem to be any play in drive shaft. Thanks for your comment..

Have you thrown a weight off the tail shaft ?

Is the tail shaft mounted park brake tight and secure ?

Is there is a possibilty of bent rear axle ?

If all of the above check out, I would be replacing U joints and balancing the tail shaft if you are sure the wheels are running true and balanced.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Ned,

The '35 Dodge used a Detroit Ball and trunnion type universal on either end of the tail shaft.

After many many hours of use they do wear somewhat so you sahould not be able to detect any sideways movement in any part of the universal.

It is very easy to check by sliding under the car and grabbing hold of the shaft and then shaking it as hard as possible from side to side.

You should not feel any side movement at all.

If so then the universal(s) will need replacing.

By the way I am assuming that the Dodge still has the original type universal in it.

Check to confirm if the universals are covered by either a rubber or leather type flexible cover.

Cheers

John Spinks

Aussie C9 Chrysler Airflow Coupe

Guest Ned Kikly

Thanks for all your possible solutions.. I just purchased the car 3 months ago and it is very orginal..with 42 K miles on it .. and not much has been removed from original. The covers are still on the U-joints.. and look to be leather. The car is pristine and doesnt look like it was abused. I will wiggle the drive shaft by hand and see if there is any play.. Thanks again.