Where to buy complete brake system?

Guest Kingglory

Guest Kingglory

Where can I buy a complete brake system for a 1990 Reatta? Do they sell remaufactured systems?

I think this may be the best way and take the guess work out and give me some peace of mind..

Thank you al for the input and assistance.

Mike

Guest Kingglory

The link @ Reatta.net is for this company http://priorreman.com/index.htm

They just stopped rebuilding this system about 6 months ago. :mad:

They told me to call S.I.A. electronics @ 800-737-0915 and Kevin is the one that rebuilds them.

Complete system is $575.00 and $100.00 core + $25.00 shipping.

Just an FYI to others looking for this system.

Is this a good price??

Guest Kingglory

Rick,

That is too funny. I was just looking at that on Ebay. There was a prior member that ordered one from this guy and it did not sound that great. Sounded more like a yard part that was cleaned up and not rebuilt.

The guy on ebay also claims he will rebuild it if you send it to him.

Guest Kingsley

With the proper reservations, I passed on the mention of the $95.oo rebuilder to a lady who had put her car in the hands of Meineke (I shudder a bit) and ultimately it was sent to Zach. Returned it in quick order - mentioned that there were two items that needed replacing. Reinstalled and "said to be working fine". Takes a bit of shipping but the one for $125, have the $95.00 rebuilder do it up and get an additional level of comfort. Extra shipping, of course, but neverthess another way to go. Good luck. I know nothing about the TEVES but would appear that electronic issues come into play and they can be easily checked. Meineke - had the opportunity to all the testing according to the FSM but said they knew everthing they needed to know.

Kingsley

Guest Richard D
With the proper reservations, I passed on the mention of the $95.oo rebuilder to a lady who had put her car in the hands of Meineke (I shudder a bit) and ultimately it was sent to Zach. Returned it in quick order - mentioned that there were two items that needed replacing. Reinstalled and "said to be working fine". Takes a bit of shipping but the one for $125, have the $95.00 rebuilder do it up and get an additional level of comfort. Extra shipping, of course, but neverthess another way to go. Good luck. I know nothing about the TEVES but would appear that electronic issues come into play and they can be easily checked. Meineke - had the opportunity to all the testing according to the FSM but said they knew everthing they needed to know.

Kingsley

Sorry, I am confused(old age) what you are saying is the person on ebay (Zach) does good work for $125.00?

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Guest Kingglory
Finally came in the mail. Thrown in a box with a few newspapers crumpled around it. Body was cleaned up but certainly looks far from what anyone would consider "remanufactured". Old, torn mounting gasket still on it. Old, cracked brake hose. I doubt any "new" parts were used in the rebuild. Who knows if it even works. I'm not going to bother giving feedback to avoid getting in a pissing contest with the guy. I wouldn't buy one unless I really needed it.

This was bought from Zach on ebay and William commented on that purchase above.

FWIW (and I am NOT a do-it-yourself guy), I had the entire brake system replaced (I did supply the accumulator via an Amazon purchase) on a '90 Reatta at a local Buick dealer. Cost of the accumulator was $120.00 and the rest cost about $1,200.00.

Hokay: there are two main pieces (not counting lines and wiring).

1) The master cyl/ABS/pump/pressure sw. This is what most people rebuild. I suspect they check/clean the motor and pressure switch and possibly clean out the ABS portion.

2) The electronic brake control module (computer) in the trunk. These rarely fail and are plentiful on the used market

The accumulator is part of the boost circuit. It is the only normally replaced part, spins on and off like an oil filter, and costs a touch over $100 from an Amazon store (price has actually gone down over the last few months).

Be glad they are avalable, ones for the PowerMaster have passed $200 and are much lower pressure.

They are really two independant systems with the link that if the boost system fails it also turn off the ABS system.

There are some very small passages and solenoid valves involved so should be flushed and refilled with new fluid periodically, particularly where there are major temperature swings.

Guest Kingsley

In my initial comment I did not recall that the $125 vendor was the same fellow that re-builds for $95.00.

I think it comes down to a personal review of a vendors warranty, liability coverge and references.

Please understand that I am not endorsing any of these items only calling them to the attention of the Forum members as being available. Probably there is no other Reatta part that carries as much "caveat emptor" as this one.

Kingsley

Kingsley

Daniel, I'm sure your quite busy but it would be a lot of help to me and the others here if you could get the time to write down for us the parts needed and the steps needed to install the vacuum booster system like you have installed. I for one would really appreciate it.

Guest THEHKP7M13
I would just upgrade to the 91'. You will have to pull the pedal and booster out of a 91' :Riv, Reatta, caddy

Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this post.

Should it really be called an upgrade if you eliminate the ABS? I assume that is what you would be doing.

If it means getting rid of TEVES I would glady loose the ABS.

Daniel, I'm sure your quite busy but it would be a lot of help to me and the others here if you could get the time to write down for us the parts needed and the steps needed to install the vacuum booster system like you have installed. I for one would really appreciate it.

+1,000,000

a) if buying a new booster, I'd go for one of the new small diameter dual diaphram ones that did not exist back then.

B) to switch to the '91 syle ABS you would also need a 91 engine and e-transmission or a 12 year old who lives on Twinkies with a burner, control is all in the powertrain module (computer)

a) if buying a new booster, I'd go for one of the new small diameter dual diaphram ones that did not exist back then.

B) to switch to the '91 syle ABS you would also need a 91 engine and e-transmission or a 12 year old who lives on Twinkies with a burner, control is all in the powertrain module (computer)

Not quite getting b

• 2 months later...