Moonroof Alternative To Sunroof

technoweenie

After the second short-lived rebuild of the sunroof I need to make the choice between several options. I won't rebuild the existing mechanism again, it's too far gone (trust me on that).

Option 1 is to manually close the sunroof and leave it that way. That's certainly the easiest but admits defeat.

Option 2 is to start over with an RX-7 mechanism, rebuild that and do the necessary modifications.

Option 3 is to eliminate the mechanism completely, permanently mount the sunroof panel in the roof opening (so it simulates a non-sunroof vehicle) and install a flip-up moonroof.

Has anyone gone the route of Option 3? It seems like a viable alternative since the existing headliner is already shaped for a roof opening. Instead of the troublesome sliding sunroof it'd be a fixed/flip-up moonroof.

Several Reatta owners have purchased the RX-7 unit and itstalled it in their Reatta will little effort.

Depending upon where you live, RX-7 units are available from almost nothing to around $100

Since you already have the experience of knowing what to look for on a good/bad sunroof mechanism. You should be able to pick out a good unit and mount it with little effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Craig57

Sunroof will be my next project. Mine has visible rust coming thru the roof panel and is caulked shut. Talked to skyhawk on the phone when i first got the car. Total fix is about 350 to 400 bucks,if I remember right for the RX-7 fix. Mine could be far worse when opened up. Whats the worst I can expect? What other options are there besides stock set-up. Is there any after market alternative. Daves89 may have a answer for a Reatta with no factory sunroof. From previous posts his set up sounds pretty sweet. I forget if he posted photos.

i installed the rx7 sunroof parts to replace my broke sunroof.the inside parts are almost identical.i just had to trim a couple of brackets off and drill a couple of holes for the light.be aware that the the metal outside panel is 3/8"?higher in the middle allthough it fits the opening well.deerslayer,i wouldn't attempt adding a rx7 sunroof unless you are an excellent bodyman.the roof has a factory flange for the sunroof.