Non 400 point chrome

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I have been looking through old threads trying to find a web site for chrome that was on here but can not find it. I am looking for a place that will rechrome the bumpers on my 55. They are in quite bad condition but I do not plan on showing the car or trying to win trophy's. If they flake off on the rear of the bumper no big deal as long as the front looks nice. Does anyone know of a place to get this done. I know show chrome is expensive but you can buy huge truck chrome bumpers for $300 to $400 dollars. They are not perfect but will look good on the front side for hundreds of thousands of miles. Any info is appreciated thanks.

Check out Bumper Boyz. Definately not top shelf but OK for a driver with prices to match.............Bob

Actually Bob, they are show chrome, but you may have to go through a few to find a perfect one. I bought two from them for my last Metropolitan restoration because my chrome guy's prices went through the roof. I picked them up in person at a Carlisle Meet to make sure they were done right. They've been on the car for 2 years and still no problems.................

I have two excellent bumpers for my 1948 Special done by Bumper Boyz. I met them at Carlisle one year to check what they brought with them. One was great, the other was not acceptable, not because of the chrome but because the metal was too thin from grinding down a rusted section. I had my originals with me and gave them both and asked them to re-chrome mine that were in good shape but needed re-chroming. They have given me no trouble for over 6 years and they look great.

For pot metal I have shipped them to Qual Krom and always got back my originals in excellent condition.

Joe, BCA 33493

Actually Bob, they are show chrome, but you may have to go through a few to find a perfect one. I bought two from them for my last Metropolitan restoration because my chrome guy's prices went through the roof. I picked them up in person at a Carlisle Meet to make sure they were done right. They've been on the car for 2 years and still no problems.................

I guess what I might have said is their work is hit or miss. I've checked out their work at shows and some stuff looked good while others were driver grade at best. I've heard both good, as in your case, and I've talked to other folks who were not too pleased. As always, buyer beware............Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sintid58

Well in the end I found a place in South Sioux City Ne that does plating. Robert and I got up a 430 this morning and took the parts to be chromed down to them. Of course when we got there we had forgot a couple peices, and there a some other peices that they will not chrome because the are made from pot metal. Luckily my part time job take me to Sioux City Monday so I can drop the missing peices off then. They told me getting the pot metal peices chromed was going to be pretty expensive so I will have to see what kind of charges there will be there. I will also be going through Omaha Monday so should be able to drop these peices off also. The main peice I need done is the trunk handle and the headlight surrounds. The grill and upper bar are pretty good with no pitting. I don't know if this is going to be the cheapest but it didn't seem a lot more expensive and I will be able to drop everything off and pick it up with no shipping expenses. Oh and I got some peices from buick5563 the other day and they look great.

• 1 month later...
Guest sintid58

We ended up having Sioux Plating in South Sioux City Ne do our chrome for the 55. They would not do the pot metal so we ended up taking that to Industrial plating in Omaha. It only took Sioux Plating about 2 weeks to get the metal peices done and so far they look great. I am not an expert on show chrome but to me it looks like it would pass for that. We are still waiting for the pot metal peices to get done but they told me last week that I should be able to pick them up next week. After all my searching the costs at almost all of the chrome shops I talked to were pretty close to being the same. I ended up using these because they are close to me and I have no shipping costs involved other than gas to drive to Sioux City. I get through Omaha almost every week with the truck and could drop those pieces off and pick them up with no cost to me. If anyone is close to this area I would recomend Sioux Plating very highly.

We ended up having Sioux Plating in South Sioux City Ne do our chrome for the 55. They would not do the pot metal so we ended up taking that to Industrial plating in Omaha. It only took Sioux Plating about 2 weeks to get the metal peices done and so far they look great. I am not an expert on show chrome but to me it looks like it would pass for that. We are still waiting for the pot metal pieces to get done but they told me last week that I should be able to pick them up next week. After all my searching the costs at almost all of the chrome shops I talked to were pretty close to being the same. If anyone is close to this area I would recomend Sioux Plating very highly.

I think some photos are in order, especially before and after. Now, I need to have the rear bumper of the 72 Centurion done and will consider these guys. I am sure Des Moines has a place as well.

Question that may help the Buick community: When do you put a coat of wax on these bumpers and chrome parts?

I thought "right away" as my feeling is that chrome that has a coat of a high quality Carnauba based wax will prevent corrosion. But maybe like paint, chrome needs some time to settle.

I'm not talking about polish necessarily but a protective coating just like paint.

Guest Skyking

Question that may help the Buick community: When do you put a coat of wax on these bumpers and chrome parts?

Bryan, chrome isn't like paint, it doesn't have to harden.........

You can wax it anytime.......and as often as you like.

Guest sintid58

Once we get it all on I will take some good pictures of it and post on here. My son is doing it and he is not real fast (too many girl freinds) and we are waiting for some peices we need to have before we can finish putting the front bumpers on it.