Labour Day weekend tour

Thriller

Well, after things fell through due to lack of interest last year, this year we made it happen. I put together a bit of a tour and invited my fellow Gopher State brethren to head north for the weekend.

In the end, the turnout was a bit disappointing, with only 2 cars and 5 people coming up. We did get most of our local BCA members out for at least some of the activities on the weekend.

On Saturday we went southwest of Winnipeg and met the Americans at a fossil museum in Winkler. There was a bit of a navigation error, so we waited for the Minnesotans in the parking lot. Next time, the crew with the GPS navigation unit leads, right Kris? After this we drove about 25 miles to have lunch and visit a small town museum. They invited us to park the cars on the grass in the shade near the museum, so we obliged. We then went to have a homemade meal at our country place.

Sunday had a bit of a driving tour. We saw the Air Force Heritage Park...and promptly spent more time there than I had planned. We visited the Manitoba legislature building and wound up cutting off the rest of the tour due to timing. We had lunch and visited a local museum of automobilia. After this, we went to a local cruise night, where the BCA was the feature club. This provided a bit of exposure and we had some suds, some food, some laughs, and handed out some BCA membership applications.

That was the end of it as some folks needed to work on Tuesday and had about 450 miles ahead of them to get back to the Twin Cities. We had fabulous weather with sun and temperatures in the low 80s. Mosquitoes were the only distraction.

All told, we had a '98 Riv and '69 Sport Wagon from MN, and through the weekend other BCA vehicles included a mildly customized '66 Wildcat, '41 Limited model 90, '54 Century Estate Wagon, '47 Roadmaster convertible (Ewing), '66 Wildcat (mine), '62 Special convertible, and 2006 Rainier.

Here are a few photos....

post-32068-143138109044_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109047_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109049_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109051_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109054_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109056_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109059_thumb.jpg

post-32068-14313810906_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109062_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138109064_thumb.jpg

Thanks John. Everyone said they enjoyed themselves...I don't think they were just being polite :D I know the owner of the Sport Wagon (an old friend of the owner of the '41 Limited) said he'd like to come back up and spend more time. We certainly couldn't have had better weather for the weekend. Of course, yesterday we got a pile of rain at our country property, so it was definitely better last weekend than this weekend.

I don't know if we could make this an annual event, but I think I could manage to put something together every other year.

I didn't want to give away too many details - Teresa is working on documenting the tour to send to Pete for the Bugle.

Dan...I don't know how well they are attached...there was a limit to how close one could get to that board (easily at least).

It certainly is a neat display though. Unfortunately I couldn't get a decent close-up. There are a number of early McLaughlin-Buick hub caps there.

That sort of wrench won't work on my '29 hub caps. What year did Buick stop making this style? Just curious.

Hey, can I have you go back and swipe on of the knockoff wrenches (last photo first set). I need one for my 1972 Stutz. :eek:

A 72 Stutz! That has to be rare...:eek:........ I was looking at that board myself and wished that we could see it better just to have an idea which wrench fits what.

Looks like a good time was had by all. :) Dandy Dave!