Raditor Replacement

Guest notworking

Guest notworking

I have a 1956 Dodge Lancer Custom Royal and in need of a replacement raditor. The core in the original that cannot be fixed without spending over $600. Can I use a racing raditor with a 2 3/4" core virus a 3" core?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Wilke

Guest oldodgeboys

I'm not completely familiar with a '56, but the fit of a new core depends a lot on your original tanks. Is the racing core made to fit your tanks?

You could also look around and see what other complete radiators have similar dimensions as your '56. Many 70's car and 80's truck radiators are similar as 50's cars and are available new in the $200-300 range. If you have access to a wrecking yard that would be a good place to start for a comparison.

Even if you are a purest (like me), you wont harm the car with another radiator if you make some adaptor brackets, plus you will buy yourself plenty of time to find a correct replacement.

I tried saving money on a radiator for my 40 Ford several years ago. Bought 2 different used radiators, had the original reworked, etc. Finally broke down and spent $550 for a new Walker radiator. Best money I ever spent. I had already spent nearly $300 for previous attempts/repairs.

Also on aluminum radiators, my buddy had a Griffin aluminum in his 32 Ford, went bad in 3 years. The told him tough luck, not warranteed. Also was not repairable. He put the standard radiator back in, much happier now. Aluminum radiators are throw aways, brass/copper ones are fixable.