1931 Buick Wiring Questions

SteveHotRod

Hi,

I'm rewiring my 1931 Buick 57 four door and had two questions:

1) Where does the wire bringing power to the dome light circuit run? I see the wires from the dome light switch but can't seem to see where the wire bringing power to that circuit runs.

2) Is there supposed to be a separate switch for the side lights?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Steve,

By side lights, do you mean the fender or cowl lights (not sure which '31 has)? If so, I m not sure about '31, but the '32 has fender and tail lights on the steering column, left and right for low, 2nd click for high beams (I hope this is correct - at least it is fender lights one side an oposite the two click headlight side.

I am not sure about where the feed is either to the dome light switch. I had someone else install my harness. Is the '31 also in the center door post like '32? But I believe it goes down the pillar, along the fllorboard where there is other wiring to the taillight, or lights.

John

You might trying calling one of the BCA tech advisors for your era car

Advisers

Also the 1930 cars are real similar to 31's so you might also try the 1930 tech advisor.

But only if SteveHotRod is a paid up member of BCA.

Tech advisors are one of the benefits of the BCA membership

Guest jules greenway

hi Steve

on our '31 8-90 the feed to the dome lights is an extension of the feed to the Stop & Backup lights- it runs from the backup light switch on the gearbox along a channel in the wooden body passenger side rail (protected by a metal cover under the carpet) up to the pillar switch

wiring diagrams can be found in "1931 Specifications and adjustments"

regards

jules

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Steve:

On my 39 Roadmaster, the wire to the light that's in the harness is the feed. The wire back to the switch serves as a ground that's controlled by the switch itself, where the switch itself is grounded.

In other words, the switch is in the GROUND side of the circuit instead of the power side. It took me several hours of "HUH?" to figure that out about 28 years ago, which is why I haven't forgotten.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

First I want to thank you all for your replies!

I partially traced the elusive wire & it goes behind the rear window undernearh the upholstery -- probably to the floor at some point. So I'm going to defer further tracing until I redo the interior and open things up more!

Thanks again,

steve