TH400 compatability?

64R

I have a TH400 in my 64 Riv, the motor could use a rebuild, I have a 455 out of a 70's Buick that runs like a top. Anyone know if the TH400 would bolt straight up to the 455 if I decided to do the motor swap? If not I could always use the trans from the 455 car I guess.

Rob,

There's a complete "how to" swap article on the ROA's website in the Tech Tips link about swapping a 430 big block in place of a '66 nailhead - both those bodies are the same so it's easier than it would be in a '65. It explains about 14 - 15 differences between the big block 430/455 and the 425 nailhead. Most have to do with cooling differences, down flow v. cross flow radiators, location of radiator hoses (opposite sides). Electronics - the starter motor is on the opposite side, the distributor is on the opposite end, etc, etc., etc. After reading the article I think you'll be convinced that staying with the nailhead and the ST400 you now have will be worth it.

I have a friend who put a 455/200R4 combo into a '63 Riv. Because of the size of the big block, he has to run very narrow solid motor mounts and had to pay out big bucks for a custom made exhaust system.

Rob,

When you say the Nailhead needs a rebuid, what is it doing that you don't like? The Nailhead is really a very strong engine with about zero problem area's, unlike its successor engines!

Depending on what you are able to do yourself, you may just need a set of rings, bearings, timing chain and gears and a gasket set to make it run strong again! That would be less than $600.00 in parts. That is WAY cheaper than swapping in a 455!

Just some thoughts!

Tim

Thanks RivNut, I will check out the swap article although I think you have effectively talked me out of that option :D Just thought I'd ask since I had the 455 just sitting there.

You're probably right Tim, tear it down and re-ring may be all it takes. It's smoking out the breather, I had the heads done but it still smokes so that pretty much leaves rings. You can really smell it bad when you drive so that's the worst part about it really, runs just fine otherwise, especially after the head work. I just didn't want to get into a full rebuild with machine work costs being crazy where I am. :(