Advertising the AACA

ply33

The national meets are where the best examples of restored and HPOF cars are to be seen. It makes sense to make these as accessible to non-AACA member spectators as possible. People not associated with the AACA, even those not currently a member of any club, can then see some of what the AACA is about and meet AACA members. It could be a great recruiting tool.<P>So with this in mind, go to the calendar page on <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org" TARGET=_blank>www.aaca.org</A> You will see entries that look like this:<P><blockquote>4-6-AACA Ontelaunee Region's 37th Annual Das Awkscht Fescht Car Show, Flea Market and Car Corral. All show vehicles and flea market must be pre-registered by July 1. Held at Macungie Memorial Park, along Pa. Route 100, 6 miles south of I-78. For information write Das Awkscht Fescht, PO Box 127, Macungie, PA 18062-0127, phone (610) 262-9718.<BR><p><span style="font-weight: bold">11-12-AACA Western Division National Fall Meet, Aptos, California, hosted by the Cabrillo Region.</span><BR><p>12-AACA Historic Fredericksburg Region's 43rd Annual Antique Auto Meet, Walker-Grant Middle School, One Learning Way (near Purvis Ford off US-1 South), Fredericksburg, Virginia. Flea market & car corral. Contact Bill Venable, 806 Glazebrook Drive, Fredericksburg, VA 22407.</blockquote><P>Notice anything? The local events give the location of the show field, but the national shows don't.</B> Even those events that require pre-registration like the Das Awkscht Fescht Car Show list the show location. <span style="font-style: italic">Maybe they expect spectators and others to find out and come.</span><P>None of the AACA national events lists this information. I can see leaving off the contact information if you really have to. (The local event organizers have their hands full and registration is supposed to happen through national anyway.) But why not list the venue? Actually, why not list the national headquarters as the contact?<P>I've heard that it costs money to send out registration packets and I believe it. But registration packets are only needed for those who plan to show their car, not for those who want to come to look.

TodFitch & BruceW:<BR>One of the best reasons that Regions provide detailed show info is that these events are usually a primary soruce of revenue for region operations the rest of the year. They need to maximize participation from exhibitors and spectators. Not all income is from entry or admission fees. The anicllaries often make more, i.e. vendors, food, etc. AACA national shows operate on a different basis. But it's true that these AACA events need more promo info. It's interesting that you noted Das Awkscht Fescht, which charges spectator admission of $4 or $5 and draws thousands because of all the attractions besides the 1,300+ antique cars. And they separate the modifieds into a different show day.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, At Macungie they charge $6.00 for adults and $3.00 for 12 and under until 4:00 p.m. and $3.00 & $1.00 after that. SalG

Guest BruceW

Thats why we always register the 1931 Ford for the day we will be there. For the $10.00 registration fee it admits the car.. Di.. me.. our girls.. and anyone else riding along for the whole day, plus we have our chairs and cooler to relax in the shade.

Tod - You are right on the button! Our new server is scheduled to get on line later this month according to Webgeek Peter. As soon as that process is complete we will have three of our "fellow" DFers start work to update and improve the major areas of the site. Additions of the type you mentioned are certainly reasonable, just give us a few days - OK?

It is interesting how many comments there are on advertising shows/meets, not only on this thread but on several others in the past. I agree 100% with all of you who say that local shows and National events should be publicized. But please remember that this costs BIG bucks. It's not that much if you put a blurb in the classifieds under the "Antique Autos for Sale" or such but if you buy even a 1/4 page of space in the local paper, you will spend a small fortune. Sometimes, if you have an "in" with a staffer, you can get a small spread on what is coming and the day it is to run is a slow newsday. More often, they show up at the site/field and run maybe one pix and a few words in the next day's issue. <BR>You can also furnish all the info to other clubs for their newsletter but again, it is usually done on "space available". There are not many newsletter editors, myself included, who will use a full page to put a show flier. I don't do that for our own club and certainly wouldn't do it for anyone else. I do, and am more than happy to, include any and all listings from "sister clubs" in my events calendar, however. <BR>My point here is don't be too quick to put down local chapters/regions for not have a lot of printed info in the public realm prior to a show. And it's just about as hard to get the same info on radio/TV also.<BR>Patt

I know the if your local or regional news paper has a section entitled "SHOWCASE", the news editors will let you put an article in their for free, since it deals with the community. Also, ask one of the journalists to cover the event for the next day's article. This will give the community something to think about and hope to see next year. <P> The "SHOWCASE" is a section in the Naples Daily News <Florida>. <P>Matt

Yea Todd - Chesapeake Region trained us well in so many ways. Like Ron said, we're working on it. The "Tour" flyer we slipped into the plastic wrap in the Jan/Feb issue was so well received we're going to improve on that and look towards expanding it for meets too. We are already working on enhancements to our net info too. What a wonderful thing this DF is! Read thru my earlier posts on coming up with a seminar that will guide event organizers in more effectively promoting their activities, and keep the ideas/thread moving along. Thanks,<BR>Terry Bond