New Corvettes at car shows

LINC400

That's a brand of bicycle, right?

Are they allowed at car show? :)

Aha! I'm going to jump in here. Bicycles probably aren't allowed, but many local car shows allow motorcycles, which is of interest to me, because I have a nice motorcycle collection, and I show my cycles in AACA events. Guess what shows up in the motorcycle portion of the LOCAL shows? Brand new Harley-Davidsons and various "crotch-rockets" right off the showroom floor! About 2 years ago, I took my 35 year-old showbike to a local show that advertised motorcycles were welcome. Well, my bike was the only one there that was older than 5 years old! 90% of the bikes were new or nearly-new Harleys dripping with chrome, and the other 10% were new "crotch-rockets" with custom paint jobs. Needless to say, I felt out of place. The funniest part were the "awards." They gave out awards for: "most chrome," "best paint," and "fattest tire!" Hardly anyone looked at my bike because it wasn't slathered in CHROME from top to bottom.

So those who find the new Covettes and such...odd at car shows, now you know what I have to put up with trying to show an old motorcycle at a local car/bike show. :(

Maybe it's just me, but when I see that newer stuff at the car shows, I simply walk faster down the aisle past it and only look at what I want to look at...the OLD RARE stuff.

I agree! I have a new Corvette. I would never put it in a car show.

Why? Because there is absolutely NOTHING SPECIAL about it at all. It's just another C6...just like the other ~30,000 C6's that were made the same year. To me, it's just boring to look at (in the context of a "car show"), and I'm not pretentious enough to believe that people care to look at my particular cookie-cutter C6 at a car show....no matter how clean it may be.

I guess if people think that their modern car is "worthy"...good for them. They're in love w/their car and that is a big part of what car ownership is about. But I really don't think any late model car that is stock or near stock needs to be in a car show. You can see the exact same thing at the local dealer.

Edited by Tom400CFI (see edit history)

The first time I took my '79 Monte Carlo to a car show, I fully expected to leave it in the parking lot. I was just shocked to see what a high percentage of cars were newer than mine. I have since gotten used to it. These days I simply walk quickly past the rows of Corvettes and Prowlers and custom-painted PT Cruisers and completely ignore both the cars and the type of spectators they tend to attract.

I find Corvettes and Mustangs boring, even the older ones, much less anything recent. All those cookie-cutter '57 Chevys and "me-too" muscle cars and overchromed Harleys do nothing for me either. And I wouldn't miss the Prowler if every last one of them ceased to exist tomorrow. But those are precisely the type of vehicle that are most popular and attract the most attention. That's just how it is these days.

I don't care what they let into shows as a lot of these shows are for a good cause. My taste run to pre-war and definitely 75 and newer doesn't have any interest for me. At a peoples choice show it's hard for me to pick an 80 and newer car whch they usually have a class for. What I don't get, is these replica cars. Real popular now are these 37 plastic ford bodies. They get put it on a custom chassis and 9 times out of 10 they get a best of show award. Why? :confused: It's getting to the point that they are almost as plentiful as 60s mustangs at shows. Ok not that many.:D

As far as late model Corvettes getting into shows ahead of other models...in Oregon there is not usually a year cutoff. In fact usually a fresh off the show room floor car is voted best daily driver.:mad:

Shows are fun but can't take them too seriously. Life is too short.

A little different slant to the question.If you drive something that is a an older car that is NOT a muscle car,new or old,that is a big body car restored close to original.I get a kick out of watching the looks and comments.A friend of mine has a 1933 LaSalle which i always tell him he should charge a nickel to look at it.It always draws a crowd.

Guest bobscads

I basically agree with Barry Wolk, but I'd like to add my thoughts. First, I just got back from Hot August Nights. NOTHING after 1972, not even Corvettes. When some people started bring late model cars to our club meets, I hoped that some of them would get interested in an old car. How many did??? Absolutely NONE. They just faded away when no one was impressed with their late model used cars. I, personally, DON'T want to see new cars at any old car function. Let them earn their rights with age. Bob

Guest windjamer

A lot of the local clubs or shows here have a special interest class. This lets ANYONE enter and show there pride and joy. Heck I just gave a trophy to, I think they call it a rat rod. Thats NOT what I would call it but HE likes it. Better yet he likes the trophy, so much that his coments are still being heard,he cant praze the club enough and the show was Fathers day. I called it the mistery thophy. Nobody knows what its for or why he got it just a fun trophy. I do believe its not fair to judge a ten or even 15 year old car against a new Vett. ;)

A little different slant to the question.If you drive something that is a an older car that is NOT a muscle car,new or old,that is a big body car restored close to original.I get a kick out of watching the looks and comments.A friend of mine has a 1933 LaSalle which i always tell him he should charge a nickel to look at it.It always draws a crowd.

These are what I drive to hot rod shows. I do draw a crowd and a lot want to know where the trailer is park. I drive to all shows.

KP1A.JPG

cad1.jpg