1946 new yorker

Guest yonu

hi,

edit: sorry i just caught a typo it is a 1943

I am in need of a little help I am in the process of helping a friend do some rewiring on their 46 new yorker they have upgraded from 6v to 12v the shop they used as (far as i can tell so far i will know for sure in the next couple of days) the stock fuel sender now the gas gauge reads at most 1/2 a tank the question I have is can I simply build a little 12v-6v regulator and if so would i attach it to the gauge or the sender? and would i need to do the same or the ammeter as i know on 6v fords it is recommended

Thanks,

yonu

Edited by yonu (see edit history)

Might not hurt to give one a try. Maybe on a gauge that you wont be needing.

The price is way better...

When I was a kid I did a 12V conversion on a 53 Windsor and the gas Gauge read from 1/4 to 1/2. Just got used to it.

the question is, was it reading acurately prior to the conversion to 12 volt...the guage itself has a built in 5 volt regulator that powers the circuit..forerunner to the CVR per say..the key here is that the guage is pulled toward empty and full at the same time..there are two wires to the sender..do not get them crossed as it will read wrong..guage is marked A and B as is the sender on the tank..wire A to A and B to B, the resistor (approx 28-30ohms) is grounding both A and B to ground through the wiper arm that is the float lever..according to the position of the wiper arm is the resitance per leg A and B...in a perfect world at half tank you will split the 30 ohms equal..if at 3/4 you read 20-22 ohms on one leg then the 8-10 ohms is on the other lead..this built in regulator combined with this push pull makes this guage slow to react thus rock steady even on the worst of road conditions. Many people report that 12 volt operation is still ok with this setup but that the regualtor circuit opens a bit quicker and kinda knee jerks the guage a bit when first turned on..I have bench tested these device on 6 and 12 for duplicate readings on the guage..you will experience this even with the runtz as the circuit opens and closes and the runtz does not react as quick. Building a varable solid state regulator that is adjustable, cabable of 15 amp load and will fold on short without damage to the regulator can be built real easy and not be bigger than a golf ball including a heat sink...you can find these schematics for free on the internet....I built a couple of these for myself and they fantastic...I only use two original six volt components on my old Dodge, the clock and the gas guage..this device powers both without any problem. The guage is totally adjustable to match your sender for spot on accuracy