Moon Motor Car

Guest US1787

Guest US1787

Thanks -- I'm not familiar with all the 1927 models, but I know the emblem below was used on some 1927 Moon model 6-60s with radiator shells similar to those used by Moon's Diana subsidiary.

I'm wondering if the first emblem in this post has any connection to the rebranding of the Windsor based on objections from the Royal family.

post-62750-14313809386_thumb.jpg

I have been collecting emblems for 35+ years and (((if that is not the emblem sold on e-bay recently))) you have the third of that particular emblem I've ever seen!

I too have tried to establish which model it came from, but have no proof of this - I assume it comes from the 1929-1930 "Prince of Windsor" model because it very closely resembles the shape & mounting style of the Windsor emblem, which that model would eventually become after a reorganization of Moon.

A nice find!

Guest Commodore

Here is a emblem for the White Prince of Windsor car. Is this the same car as the Moon Prince of Windsor?

899.jpg

Guest US1787

Interesting observations. The emblem was never mounted on a car, and might not ever have been used in production. One theory is that after the Royal Family objected to the coat of arms on the Windsor emblem (the one in the Smithsonian collection), Moon changed the emblem to this design.

My research also turned up some Moon advertisments from 1925 that contain the portion of the emblem in the white shield under the chevron (attachment below), some of them in UK ads. I understand that Moon made an export model called the "London" from 1925 - 1929. Could this be the emblem from that car?

post-62750-143138093984_thumb.jpg

I would have to un-mount mine from it's display to see, but I believe it is also was never mounted to a vehicle. You can see it in the center of the Chevrolet shell - the windsor is in the upper right corner of the Essex shell and has the similar shield in it.

post-31809-143138094113_thumb.jpg

post-31809-143138094115_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest cory71

I have a round emblem from a Moon automobile. Was wondering what model it comes from. On the back it has wording which is half there...it goes~?????LAULD CO., COLUMBUS OH. Anyone know which model this would have come off of? I cannot get a picture to load...it is the round type with the moon and wings, and seems to be made of brass or copper. Found it on the Arizona/Mexico border near Bisbee, Az. Condition is pretty good. E-Mail me at coryschonhoff@yahoo.com ~Cory~

Edited by cory71 (see edit history)