VINTAGE LITHOGRAPH OLD CARS

Guest www.wise

HI. I have a rare vintage set of lithograph car prints. Gallery of the American automobile by Clarence P. horning printed in 1965. This is large set 22x14 of 100 lithographs of antique cars. This set is number 38 of the 500 limited edition and is signed by the author. It comes in a book like velvet case with all of documents of how it was made. A lot of the sets were broken up this one is stile complete and in nice conduction. The only other one I have ever seen was incomplete with only 85 prints left in the set and no signature of the author left in it. It was appraised in 2005 by Lisa Manzi of NY for $6,450.00. Thiess are beautiful 22x14 colored lithographs of automobiles from 1853 to 1915 with the history of each one. I could email photos if any would be interested. Harold Price

Email jprice4909@gmail.com

Guest www.wise
Wow, that's pretty high based on what I've seen.

Terry

Terry

This is why I would like talk to someone who has ever seen a set of thesis lithographs. This is a large set with only 500 made in 1965. Each one is stamp and the set is singed by the author. There are small sets but only 500 large limited sets like this one. I have been trying for a long time to find another one or any one who has ever seen one. The incomplete one I put in my add is the only one I have ever heard of. If you have one or know of one I would hear from you.

Thanks Harry

I'm very familiar with the set and the bound volume as well. I've seen both for sale in a number of different settings. Naturally, the bound book is more common. As contemporary works they fall into the instant collectible category. They were intended to be collectible upon issue and in my opinion do not have as great a value as they were appraised for unfortunately. I'm not a professional appraiser, just a long time collector of automotive art. The real value in things like this is in genuine antique items. If you intend to sell them, my recommendation is to put them on ebay and see what happens. You could always place a high reserve on them to protect your investment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest www.wise
Well, I see you've already done that. Good luck.

Terry

This set has never been up for sale and has never been on ebay.

Amazing! The description for the ebay set read exactly like the opening email and indicated it had been professinally appraised at the exact amount quoted by the same appraiser. It even had a copy of the appraisal and the description read exactly as stated. Quite a coincidence. Whoever listed that one was looking for an opening bid of over $3000 as best I can recall. It never drew any bids. Maybe they aren't really that hard to come by. Bob-sent you a PM.

Terry

Guest www.wise

Terry and Bob I thought I would post my set of lithographs on this site to see if I could get some help. When I talked about the set that was appraised in 2005 by Lisa Manzi that was the incomplete set on eBay I was talking about in my add. I did not post to sell - I thought I could find some one with a little helpful information. I know a lot of car people around here and find them all to be nice people. So far all I have gotten on this site is some one not helping but running down my set of lithographs. I don’t believe you have ever seen one and you have never had one so maybe that’s the reason you can’t be of any help and can’t say any thing decent about my book.

THANKS HARRY

Harold, your initial posting was not very clear. It appeared to indicate that your set was the one that was appraised at that amount by that appraiser. If you had indicated in your posting that the only other one that you had seen was on Ebay and that that set was supposedly appraised in 2005 by Lisa Manzi of NY for $6,450.00., it would have been clear.

The way you typed it, made it look like you were saying that your set was appraised in 2005 by Lisa Manzi of NY for $6,450.00.

Terry is a well respected member of this site. I would suggest that your initial post was confusing. If you type a little more carefully, you will probably find great advice here. If Terry said he was familiar with this (and he did), you can be assured that he is familiar with this subject. You don't need to be upset. Ask any questions that you want to ask and you will find helpful folks here.

I was only trying to be helpful and give you my honest opinion based on my experience collecting automotive art for many years. If you are offended because I felt your set of prints was not as valuable as you thought then I must apologize, but your beef isn't with the folks here on the forum - it's with the appraiser whose inflated value has created unreasonable expectations regarding its worth. As I mentioned before, they are very well done prints but they are purely decorative and were mass produced in a variety of formats. One of my personal rules of collecting is to simply enjoy it if you like it. It isn't worth anything until it has been sold. Until then, enjoy them for what they are. Just nice prints.

Happy collecting.

Terry