Steering wheel and interior wood suppliers

joeinbcs

Hi All,

I want to replace the wood in my '65 Riviera with something close to the stock look. Some of the aftermarket kits are high-gloss, and not really to my taste. Anybody have any recommendations?

Also, I want a wood steering wheel. Closest to what I want is a Grant "Classic Series 971", which is marketed as an OEM GM 16" x 4" wheel (pic attached). Only problem is that I can't find anyone at Grant or their suppliers who can tell me if this wheel is available in a light walnut finish. Anybody have any luck finding this type of wheel (doesn't have to be a Grant).

Thanks, Joe

post-61950-143138091364_thumb.jpg

The wood kit from Cars, Inc. (www.oldbuickparts.com) is not high gloss and is identical to original.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Regarding the wood wheel, you can still find OEM wood wheels. The hornbars are being reproduced by Gene Guarnare (abang@aol.com) the steering wheel interior components are being reproduced and are available at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Clarks</st1:place>, the mounting hubs are being reproduced and are available on ebay. The actual wheels and center caps show up on ebay occasionly. So, if you want a factory correct look, the stuff is still out there. Nothin' beats the original look.

Thanks Patrick. I was just out looking at my wood and realized that the scotch tape the PO had put over what I thought was peeling veneer is actually just peeling top coat. The wood beneath looks great once the peeling top coat is removed. I might be able to remove the plastic or varnish that was used and just put a new coat of something on once its cleaned up. Anybody know what was used as a topcoat, and what would be the best solvent to remove it.

Also, for anybody who has done this, what would you use as a finish coat?

Joe,

You're right about the varnish on the wood. The verneer is actual walnut so you can treat it like you'd treat any other furniture restoration project. The only thing that might be somewhat tricky is getting the black pinstripe back on the wood before you put your new top coat on.

Ed

The original black stripe was silkscreened / painted on the wood . A good quality reproduction would be the same . At one time some of the repros were useing black tape . Can anyone tell me who is doing it the correct way now and who is useing tape ?