68 BARRACUDA NEED ADVICE

Guest MOPARNUT

Guest MOPARNUT

I am having a trouble with the manual steering, so I am concerdering putting switching to power steering. Any advice if I should convert or not?

I think it's all in what you want for comfort. I left my 383 4-barrel 4-speed Dart manual steering because I wanted to keep it original. I never got to drive it, so I can not tell you if it was a bear to steer. I can imagine with manual steering and all of that weight of a big block, it would be a chore.

If your front suspension is set up right you won't need power steering. When those cars were new old ladies and grannies drove them, and so can you.

Have the front end checked and worn parts replaced. Then get an alignment job. To put frosting on the cake, get a set of 4 shock absorbers too. If yours are over 20,000 miles old they are no longer at their best, no matter how good they look.

With new shocks and an alignment job your car should steer like a breeze and ride like a new car.

I have given the same advice to other people. Those who believed me were amazed how well it worked and lost all desire for power steering.

If your front suspension is set up right you won't need power steering. When those cars were new old ladies and grannies drove them, and so can you.

Have the front end checked and worn parts replaced. Then get an alignment job. To put frosting on the cake, get a set of 4 shock absorbers too. If yours are over 20,000 miles old they are no longer at their best, no matter how good they look.

With new shocks and an alignment job your car should steer like a breeze and ride like a new car.

I have given the same advice to other people. Those who believed me were amazed how well it worked and lost all desire for power steering.

You are forgetting that he is talking about a 383 "big block" A-body car.....little old ladies had slant sixes or 273 V8s. Those 383 A-body reviews from 1967 and 1968 and even 1969 are all about the heaviness in the front end of those particular cars. I had most of the information on these when I had my Dart and it was great as a "straight line" machine, but with the big block, handling STUNK. There was a world of difference in the weight of a small block vs. a big block MOPAR engine.

I just read in an article that I was certain I have read before that the big block cars did not have the power steering option because it "did not fit". I can totally believe that because the engine bay was so small that they even had to "pinch" the driver's side manifold to pass around the steering column.

You can go directly online to "Galen's Grey Sheet". He is a buddy of mine and the "GURU" of MOPAR muscle cars. He can tell you everything about whether the power steering will fit or not. He could probably tell you which '68 383 Barracuda you own! Tell him John sent you.

Guest MOPARNUT

Yes John you are right with the 383 and manual steering going straight fast is all I can do. It takes alot to make right turns espically sharp ones. Also lefts are tough while the car is in motion if I go left I have to almost stop the car first. The 68 cuda is a formula S 383 which my Grandfather tuned it more for street racing in the 70's. It does great at the track though I get alot of complaints about the car not having seat belts or any roll bars or safety equipment. But still getting to the track and home is just brutal when making any turn.

The steering should not be that hard if it is set up right.

By the way I did not forget he had a 383 car. He forgot to tell us.

If you expect me to remember from one day to the next what is in everybody's car, forget it. I can't even remember all my own cars.

What's more, it seems this whole question was a waste of time as power steering won't fit anyway.

The steering should not be that hard if it is set up right.

By the way I did not forget he had a 383 car. He forgot to tell us.

If you expect me to remember from one day to the next what is in everybody's car, forget it. I can't even remember all my own cars.

What's more, it seems this whole question was a waste of time as power steering won't fit anyway.

Rusty...I certainly did not mean to give you any doodoo about the car being a 383. I just figured you would have seen the profile and list of cars that clearly says "383 Formula S". So...yes...he DID tell us. Sorry about that. And yes....even the NEW '68 big block A-bodies were hard to steer. Ask the man who owns one. John

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I'm sorry, but I just have to add that if you have been giving folks the same advice, you had better study the car in question before giving advice. I am NOT trying to be a jerk. It's simply a matter of knowing about "special" cars. The 383 Dart 4-speed production was only something like 92 made. There was a reason for that. They were hard to steer. To the "average" Dart or Barracuda, your advice would be well taken, but NOT the big block cars. Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

And by the way, Rusty.....you would not have known that the power steering did not fit unless I had told you why.

I would have known if you told me it was a 383 car. I also know about the left exhaust manifold with the long outlet with the bend in it and the right manifold with the different outlet. Not to mention the K member.

Incidentally official Chrysler sources give the weight of a 318 or 273 as 580 lbs and a big block, 650 lbs.

Allowing an extra 30 for a bigger rad, alternator, battery etc and we are still only 100 lbs heavier on the front end. So I don't see why it should be so hard to steer provided you have stock size tires and provided the front end is in good shape and aligned properly.

If you want to you could probably take 100 lbs off by using an Optima battery, aluminum rad, aluminum intake manifold and aluminum wheels.

• 2 months later...
Guest zephyr9900

My 68 440 Barracuda had NO steering problems at all, or my 383 67 Barracuda either. I also had a 273 68 Barracuda that steered about the same as it's big block brother. Additionally PS will not fit on the big block A bodies. Sounds like you might have a dry gearbox or defiantly a front end problem, but BB weight is not the problem. Just my two C worth!

Herb

• 3 years later...
I'm sorry, but I just have to add that if you have been giving folks the same advice, you had better study the car in question before giving advice. I am NOT trying to be a jerk. It's simply a matter of knowing about "special" cars. The 383 Dart 4-speed production was only something like 92 made. There was a reason for that. They were hard to steer. To the "average" Dart or Barracuda, your advice would be well taken, but NOT the big block cars.
Do you still have this car? I have a 68 Cuda, conv, 383 s car. the only 1 made with this combo.

Do you still have this car? I have a 68 Cuda, conv, 383 s car. the only 1 made with this combo.

No, I do not still have the car, but my friend Scott (ScottsDG8) in Michigan owns it now. This is how far the restoration of it is at this time...pay no attention to the extended shackles on the rear....they were on the car when I got it and they are coming off.

post-37352-143139305146_thumb.jpg

No, I do not still have the car, but my friend Scott (ScottsDG8) in Michigan owns it now. This is how far the restoration of it is at this time...pay no attention to the extended shackles on the rear....they were on the car when I got it and they are coming off.
What part of Mi.? I was born and raised on Woodward Ave and Det. Dragway.

My dad worked at the GM Tech center then to the Milford proving grounds in 50s and 60s. He would bring home hot cars of all makes and he would take me and a friend or two to go street racing. He was a racer in the late 40s and 50s untill he tee boned a brand new 55 Chev cop car. Romember Woodward All with a blown 67 Corvette? He was a small black guy with a cigar in his mouth all the time.

I remember hanging out with the guys who built this.....The Silver Bullet. Jimmy Addison and the boys' car.....
The guy that ownes that car bought the 31 Ply that he bought from Mike. He was working on a Hemi that lost oil presure in a 34 Dodge? That car was bad a$$. Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)