1,500 Mile Road Trip in My Reatta

Guest Geoff Fender

Guest Geoff Fender

So every year for 19 years now, my family has been vacationing in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The last 4 years, I have driven my LeSabre on the 1,500 mile journey. This year, I decided to take the Reatta, and I am glad I did

Not only did the fuel economy surprise me, 28.7 mpg, but she didn't miss a beat. From Cincinnati to the condo where I stay is 750 miles. I did the first leg of the trip in 6 hours, stopped for fuel when the light came on at 450 miles. Drove the next 6 hours and still had a quarter of a tank when I arrived

This season when I pulled her out of the garage, the air conditioner decided to not work. I took it up to Bud's J & M Service in Highland Heights, Kentucky. I had Jeff do a retrofit on the system. Worked like a charm. I highly recommend them for any air conditioner service. He did the retrofit on my LeSabre, and repaired the Park Avenue's air conditioner, and he does great work.

I will be down here for about eight days. When I return, I will give more details of how she coped with the sand, salt, and humidity. Not to mention the other 750 miles back home.

In the mean time, check out the pictures on my Flickr page.

Flickr: Geoff Fender's Photostream

Thanks to my sister Allison who took some of them for me.

Edited by Geoff Fender (see edit history)

They are awesome road cars. I enjoyed my trip from Milford Mi. to Sebring Fl. 1298 miles last week. The car now has 32500 miles and its days of being locked in a garage are over. I'm glad to hear others are driving theirs like they were meant to. Regards, Labrat.

Guest 90REATTALONG

WHAT PART OF CINCINNATI,OHIO ARE YOU FROM? I LIVE IN WHITE OAK AND HAVE A 1990 WHITE WITH MAROON INT. ITS GOT 32,000 MILES. THERE ONLY A HAND FULL OF REATTA AROUND HERE.

Edited by 90REATTALONG (see edit history)

Guest Geoff Fender
WHAT PART OF CINCINNATI,OHIO ARE YOU FROM? I LIVE IN WHITE OAK AND HAVE A 1990 WHITE WITH MAROON INT. ITS GOT 33,000 MILES. THERE ONLY A HAND FULL OF REATTA AROUND HERE.

I actually live in Melbourne, KY about 10 minutes outside of Cincinnati. (I say Cincinnati because everyone knows exactly where I am talking about, few people know of Melbourne) I know a guy in Alexandria, KY who has a 91 red with tan. There is also a maroon with maroon around Northern Kentucky University, although I dont know the guy who owns that one.

Guest Reatta1

You just can't beat the Reatta for a road trip car. We are currently on our way home from the BCA National in Colorado Springs. I fueled in Springs this morning, drove 499 miles to Evanston Wyoming where I fueled again. Computer said I still had 38 miles of range left and made an average of 28.3 mpg at an average speed of 66.7 mph and an elapsed time of 7 hrs 37 miniutes. This drive reaches an elevation of over 7,500 ft. We were averaging 31.5 mpg for the leg from Springs to Fort Collins. After that we started climbing and the average reflects that gain in elevation. What a great car!!

I also went to the 'Springs (Palm Springs..actually Rancho Mirage which is 12 miles east of Palm Springs). 269 miles from L.A. round trip, an irritable girlfriend, a golden retriever (puppy), a/c on all the time and about 75 lbs of luggage. Achieved 27.5 MPG averaging 68 MPH. Not too shabby.

For the sake of comparison, in the past my Allante would get about 24/25 MPG (also with the irritable girlfriend). :)

Guest Greg Ross

Mid-April did the run in the Old Girl from Home/ Prince Edward Island to Calagary, Alberta, 4 days;

Day 1 to Pittsfield, Mass

Day 2 to East Chicago, Ill

Day 3 to west of Fargo, ND and

Day 4 to Alberta

Travelling solo averaging 750 to 800 miles per day and she never missed a beat.

And, I do have to ask, "what is a Trackback" anyway?