DBs in WW1 - Neat Photos

72caddy

Not sure if this is old news or not, but thought I would share. In an attempt to help a fellow AACA member trying to locate a person who displayed their FWD Model B at a local show, it started 'research' by my father a VERY BIG WW1 buff. My father decided to go through his materials and find me some information on DBs in WW1 (I have a 1919 Touring). I thought these images and data were very interesting.

First images are from 'Americas Munitions 1917-1918 Report of Benedict Crowell The Assistant Sec. of War - Director of Munitions' in 1919. This is a 600 pg. book. Here a DB light truck photo and a couple of interesting photos of how they stored the vehicles:

post-55762-143138082205_thumb.jpg

post-55762-143138082207_thumb.jpg

Here are the details of the 'light repair truck' from the 'Handbook of Ordnance Data, Nov. 15, 1918'. Note the headlights and the missing spot light that was on the previous version. Also note the caption were this was superceded. I like the detail of what EXACTLY the truck contained. This book goes through every type of vehicle ordered.

post-55762-143138082213_thumb.jpg

post-55762-143138082219_thumb.jpg

Killer info, thanks. I've seen lots of pictures of DBs when new, like these trucks. Can anyone explain why the were shipped with a spare wheel, but not a spare tire? MAny of the brochures, even in the 20's, show them without a tire. So I doubt it was because of the shortage of tires because of the war.

There is also a photo of the 'staff observation car' which was based on a White chasis - it is also missing the spare tire but has the split rim mounted on the drivers side (blocking the door BTW). This is definitely a used vehicle as it is dirty and in a field setting. The 'reconnaissance and machine gun car' also a 1 ton White chasis has a spare on its rim - also in a field setting.

I'll check to see if spare tires were a separate contract.

Interesting enough in the whole 'Handbook...' mentioned above that covers 'motor and traction equipment' (pg 357-383) ONLY the 'staff obs. car' mentions the tire size (36" X 6") and that a spare is INCLUDED. All other vehicles omit any mention of tire size or a spare.

• 5 months later...

Guys

a quick note to the forum. I have been fortunate to acquire one of the 3 known Model 1918 Dodge Light Repair Trucks from its 3rd owner. It is in remarkable condition except for slightly incorrect paint job, new splash shields and running boards. I am looking for the original bracket to attach the carbide spotlight which along with the kerosene headlights came along with the truck . I will keep the forum updated on the progress.